real time web analytics
Report - - Cwt-y-Bugail slate quarry 2019 | Mines and Quarries | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Cwt-y-Bugail slate quarry 2019

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

tigger

mog
Regular User
The Shepherd's Hut was perhaps the most significant feature (other than other slate workings) up on the hillside when trials were made in the mid 1800s. When the Rhiwbach Tramway was opened in 1863 Cwt-y-Bugail production started commercially. First on the surface and then underground with peak production in the 1870s. Slate went out via the Rhiwbach Tramway - had that not been built it is unlikley the quarry would have been viable at all. After 1900 production was intermittent, and generally not profitable, in part due to two major collapses. In 1961 the quarry finally shut ...though there was a short-lived attempt to win more good rock about ten years later.

As usual a collection of the underground bits rather than surface remains (though there are plenty of interesting remains on the surface!)

1913.jpg

Modern
modern.jpg

Tips giving away the existance of the workings
cybtip.jpg

Mill level (with several more slate quarries in the background, most of which I have probably covered in earlier posts)
cybm.jpg

Looking NE over the North Twll
cybpano.jpg

cybb.jpg

cybba.jpg

cybbb.jpg

cybc2.jpg

cybc2a.jpg

cybc2b.jpg

cybc2c.jpg

cybc2d.jpg

na.jpg

nb.jpg

nc.jpg

nd.jpg

nf.jpg

ng.jpg

nh.jpg

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Decent this. I especially like the entrance and the old cart shots. Very nice

HorribleJellyfish

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Quite an unusual explore! I love the old rusty rails.
This would be such a good location for a horror movie haha.