real time web analytics
Report - - D.o.E Tunnels - Dover. Feb 10 | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - D.o.E Tunnels - Dover. Feb 10

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Shadow

GDMEODC
28DL Full Member
Visited with fortknox8, Frosty, Maniac, Obscurity and Fluff. Quality laughs during access with lorries moving around

Although the funniest point in the night would have to have been our "subtle" exit, i.e. blatantly walking straight across the yard under all the cctv :p Fun times!

History -

Fire brigade plans of the 1970s name these 'D.O.E Tunnels', and they were at the time at the rear of the Dover Storage Company, in Limekiln Street. This area now forms a shipping company's yard. The tunnels themselves probably date back to the early 19th Century, but must have been worked over a period of years, and are just East of the Oil Mill Caves. There is evidence of use throughout the years, including use as air raid shelters during WW2, and a stairway seemingly built during this time links the tunnels to the main train tunnel nearby. A large portion at the rear of the tunnel has suffered a severe roof fall at both ends of a tunnel intersecting the main chamber. The brickwork in the main section is impressive and remains in good condition.

DoE1.jpg

DoE2.jpg

DoE3.jpg

DoE10.jpg

DoE11.jpg

DoE4.jpg

DoE5.jpg

DoE8.jpg

DoE7.jpg

DoE9.jpg

DoE6.jpg

Thats all for now folks!

Shadow

Last edited by a moderator:

Maniac

rebmeM LD82
Regular User
Popped back here the other night with Cave Zombie, and this time I photographed the place. :D

I missed a lot on previous trips, the place is a lot bigger than you first think it's going to be and there's a lot more detail and features than I first remember seeing; so much so I thought it was worth me posting my pics this time! Rather than starting a new thread, thought I'd tack them onto the end of this one - I was there for that visit anyway, just didn't take any photos that time!

1. The main tunnel at the rear of the complex. This is the most impressively built part.
Image-002.jpg

2. Not sure if these were just to support the ceiling, or served their purpose as vents or what.
Image-005.jpg

3. Arch Enemies. There's loads or arches in the brick work, then more arches built into those, there's bits like this all over the place.
Image-008.jpg

4. Stair case leads down to the live railway tunnel to Dover Docks. 4 trains went past while we were in there making the whole place drone with the noise, it really was quite eerie.
Image-009.jpg

5. It's bricked up at the end, so no railway tunnel fun.
Image-012.jpg

6. Cave Zombie in shot for scale, it really is much bigger in there than you first think, and the ceiling where the chalk has collapsed is a lot higher still.
Image-015.jpg

7. More collapse
Image-016.jpg

8. Another unusual ceiling structure. This one isn't a complete dome, and just has little pillars of brick work supporting the chalk.
Image-018.jpg

9. Me :D
Image-020.jpg

10. Unline bit at the end allows you to see the structure of the tunnels clearly. It was almost as if they were never finished.
Image-022.jpg

11. The whole place is a maze of little tunnels like this, all interlinking much bigger tunnels.
Image-024.jpg

Image-028.jpg

13. More archways
Image-031.jpg

14. Some parts are still used as storage.
Image-033.jpg

Image-034.jpg

Thanks for looking!

M

Who has read this thread (Total: 6) View details