real time web analytics
Report - - Dairy Crest, Torrington, Devon. May 2010 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Dairy Crest, Torrington, Devon. May 2010

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Collingwood

The quiet one..
28DL Full Member
Having visited a few times recently, Including a visit with Lectrician, Cavewoman & her fella (wot no report from you newbies!!) thought i’d put a few pictures up for your amusement!

The history of the site, and it’s Art deco features have been covered on numerous occasions, so I thought i’d try and explain what they used to do at the factory...

In modern milk production, cream is separated from milk with the use of a centrifuge called a separator. In less technical times, milk was poured into shallow pans and the cream rose naturally to the top. In Britain, cream that was skimmed from the top after 12 hours was called cream or single cream. Cream that wasn't separated until 24 hours had elapsed was called double cream.

There is however, quite a bit more to it than that, hence the need for such a large factory in Torrington!
The production of Yogurt or Cream cheese for example, involves 15 different processes, including pastureurization, adding live culture bacteria, adding butterfat and stabilizer, Hermogenize, and acidify.
As you walk around the factory here, the various elements of this process can be recognised by the signs over the doors, i.e

DairyCrestTorrington026-1.jpg

I’m quite fortunate, in that my Dad used to pay the occasional visit to the factory, (retired maintenance engineer), when it was open, so I could quiz him for a bit of info on what went on there..
Dairy Crest used to manufacturer not only Cream, (single, double, whipped and clotted) at the site, but also cream cheese, yogurt and a variety of other bye products.

Each of these had there own separate production area’s within the plant, along with the associated back up lab’s etc,
The packaging plant was to the rear of the factory, with admin, canteen and toilets/staff facilities overlooking the River Torridge on the Left hand side of the site.
Following closure in 1993, the staff, the majority of whom lived locally were laid off, the equipment removed, and the building left to the ravages of the local youths.
Fast forward to today, and the former creamery is now a canvass for some very good graffiti, but also, unfortunately alot of mindless vandalisim...

Anyway, a few pictures;

DairyCrestTorrington30510051.jpg

The outside of the building is in parts very stunning, it’s a shame that so few people appreciate the design and symemtery involved in a building of this type:

DairyCrestTorrington30510061.jpg

DairyCrestTorrington30510059.jpg

DairyCrestTorrington004.jpg

One of the most impressive features of the building, is the curved glass brick wall, which houses an internal staircase serving all the floors;

DairyCrestTorrington003.jpg

DairyCrestTorrington012.jpg

There is very little left inside, but if you dig around, there are a few little bits and bobs;

2nd floor winch mechanisim
DairyCrestTorrington017.jpg

DairyCrestTorrington30510007.jpg

DairyCrestTorrington30510009.jpg

Some back up generators hidden in the basement:
DairyCrestTorrington045-1.jpg

DairyCrestTorrington038-1.jpg