real time web analytics
Report - - Devon Foundry, live visit. | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Devon Foundry, live visit.

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

dweeb

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Last Friday I was given the oppertunity to photograph a live iron foundry. I love the work of Amber online, documenting the industry we normally look at post closure when it was in full swing. I much admire the photography on that site so I tried my hand at the same style.

Not UE at all really, but it does give a good impression of what founderies like Beven Simpson, Bloomer, Beans, Crane Hunts etc etc would have been like during casting.

I put some of the portrait shots in black and white as I think it adds to the picture...

foundry1of29.jpg

foundry10of29.jpg

foundry11of29.jpg

foundry12of29.jpg

foundry13of29.jpg

foundry14of29.jpg

foundry15of29.jpg

foundry16of29.jpg

foundry17of29.jpg

foundry18of29.jpg

foundry2of29.jpg

foundry20of29.jpg

foundry21of29.jpg

foundry22of29.jpg

foundry23of29.jpg

foundry24of29.jpg

foundry25of29.jpg

foundry26of29.jpg

foundry27of29.jpg

View attachment 166679

View attachment 166680

foundry28of29.jpg

foundry29of29.jpg

foundry3of29.jpg

foundry4of29.jpg

The fella told me that this cast would be very bright as there was a high content of magnesium. I never expected it would be like a small sun, and this was the result, at 200th of a second!
foundry19of29.jpg

Last edited:
C

calp1

for anyone wanting 2 no the meaning of the word canker in picture 8 down, it is foundry slang for scrap. not 2 b mistaken with other similar iron foundry slang;
she's got a nice pair of cankers, or
ive just been kicked in the cankers,or
by eck, my cankers are giving me jip to day son.

BOW

Armchair Explorer
28DL Full Member
for anyone wanting 2 no the meaning of the word canker in picture 8 down, it is foundry slang for scrap. not 2 b mistaken with other similar iron foundry slang;
she's got a nice pair of cankers, or
ive just been kicked in the cankers,or
by eck, my cankers are giving me jip to day son.

It was just called slag at my foundry. The ingot moulds for any leftover metal at the end of casting were called badgers, but i'm sure there's plenty of local names for them in different parts of the country.

C

calp1

good point bow, slang does differ up & down dale,
last time i looked there were no slags or badgers where i work. however what u call badgers, we call Mavis fritters.

Who has read this thread (Total: 5) View details