real time web analytics
Report - - Didcot Powerstation A - Nov '13 | UK Power Stations | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Didcot Powerstation A - Nov '13

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

m9

big in japan
Regular User
Basically, we're on the edge, and it's only going to get worse. With over 10 GW of generating capacity being yanked away from the national grid at the turn of the year, we're now importing more energy than ever.
A quick look at national grid system data, will confirm to you that a pretty significant amount of leccy is being piped in from the continent to keep the lights on in the UK, and this almost entirely down to the EU Large Combustion Plant Directive, a piece of legislation that legally required large industrial facilities to cut down their emissions or close down, and for 9 of Britain's ageing coal fired power stations the latter was the only economical option.

didcot1_zps54473a8b.jpg

Didcot A was among these sites.

Because of its highly polluting nature, it got dicked on hardstyle by Greenpeace. Twice.
The first time they just chained themselves to the coal collectors, the second, they did the chimney and boshed a massive roller down the side of it taking the piss out of Tony Blair.

blairs-legacy_zps74e02325.jpg

Pretty sick if you ask me, but it was these two high profile cases that turned every power station in the UK into fortresses, and I'll give you some vital statistics to illustrate:

5m electric fence around the whole perimeter with vibration / cut sensors and concentric infrared cameras placed every twenty yards (cameras watching cameras watching cameras) with a few more thrown in to fill the gaps. Didcot B is still active, and so the whole site is full of workers and security as you might expect at any live power station, as well as the demo crew who are dealing with A. Sounds impossible? It also looks it.

didcot2_zpsbb5af469.jpg

They're pulling Didcot A to pieces now, and as such, its a 7 day a week site. On one of our visits, we were held up while they moved one of the huge transformers from the generator hall. They start work very, very early, which doesn't give you much time to get round the place before the demo team clock on.

didcot4_zps36cf37b2.jpg

It took us 3 visits to work this one out, 'jobs being with me on 2 of them, and its not an easy puzzle to solve. By rights, we should both be on the no fly list and in B&Q getting new doors, such were the close calls we had on the wrong side of the fence. The photos are shit, but thats not what its about is it?

Exploring the turbine hall was magnificent, although it was a bit dark for any serious photography.

didcot5_zps15e58949.jpg

As attested to by this iPhone shot of one of the many battery rooms...

didcot_zps4410a28c.jpg

As I stepped into the turbine hall surrounded by that inimitable reverberant chatter of water droplets and wind you get in huge enclosed spaces, I got a similar vibe to the first time I stepped into Inverkip. I've done quite a few powerstations,but most of them have been on the continent which in my mind is a very different thing. Getting these home grown beauties under your belt is a pretty special feeling, as you can relate to the labels, the warnings, the engineering decisions etc in a way you can't when you're on the euroderp, which is all added to by the difficulty of access and severity of the consequences on getting caught inside a live power station site in the UK.

Unfortunately, we timed out on the control room (no biggy really - not that good) and the chim is a no-go via the main door thanks to our friends at Greenpeace. There is an infrared camera at the other side, so even if you manage to open them you're going to be leaving the site in the company of the fifty.

didcot6_zpsed68f65f.jpg

thanks to the Rt Honarble Mr Bigjobs for being as stupid as myself. He say's he's going to buy me a telly so we stop putting ourselves in these outrageous situations and we can maybe stay in, drink beer and watch a strictly come dancing or something.

didcot7_zpsb7feeeb1.jpg

Last edited: