real time web analytics
Report - - Meaford powerstation water treatment works - stone - August 2021 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Meaford powerstation water treatment works - stone - August 2021

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

mingerocket

28DL Regular User
Regular User
After trawling oldmaps.com I came across a few structures that looked like they may have been something to do with the long demolished Meaford powerstation and were still visible on Google earth.
Not a great deal to see but a pair of nicely decaying sewage treatment plants and the waste water outfall from the cooling towers. (and a bonus retro gatehouse)

Unfortunately the outfall was well fenced off and far too overgrown to be photographed and it seemed like the kind of place you could quite easily fall to your death in a watery grave under all the overgrown ivy etc. At first sight I thought this may have been an Infall from the river trent but after reading up on Wikipedia it seems at the opening of the powerstation in 1947 the trent was far too polluted for the water to be any use and a nearby waterworks was chosen as the supply.
I don't really have much history on the two sewage plants other than they were part of the powerstation which opened in 1947 and was completely decommissioned by 1996. There is a very in depth history on Wikipedia but not really applicable to these two structures.

1st plant

2nd plant

CEGB was Central Electricity Great Britain, pre privatisation electricity board, found next to the 2nd plant

Good looking retro gatehouse

raisinwing

28DL Regular User
Regular User
There are still a few A station buildings standing on the site, former workshops and the likes. They're all pretty smashed up now but still retain a few interesting things.

mingerocket

28DL Regular User
Regular User
There are still a few A station buildings standing on the site, former workshops and the likes. They're all pretty smashed up now but still retain a few interesting things.
I did go through the old fence where it had rotten away but I'd had my fill of nettles and brambles and soon turned back. Looking at old photos it must've been quite a place, pretty much erased now.

Who has read this thread (Total: 182) View details