real time web analytics
Report - - Digby Hospital (West mortuary) Exeter November 2019 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Digby Hospital (West mortuary) Exeter November 2019

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

steve hannaford

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
The Exeter City Asylum opened on the 29th of September 1886, in the 1920s it became known as Exeter City Mental Hospital and after being absorbed into the NHS in 1948 it became Digby Hospital,then in the 70s it became known as Exe Vale Hospital.

The Hospital was active for just over 100 years and closed in 1987.

The land and buildings were then sectioned off, part becoming a retail park the rest becoming Digby Park a suburban residential area.

All that remains now (of interest to us )of this grand Victorian hospital are the East and West Mortuaries.

Both buildings came up for auction in February 2013 ...

The East mortuary with a floor space of 19sq m sold for £26,000 and has been stripped to the bones and is being used for storage.

The West mortuary with a floor space of 28sq m sold for £30,000.

The new owner wanted to convert the building into a residential apartment but planning was refused.

The West mortuary now stands frozen in time mostly intact, situated in a copse of trees in the middle of suburbia.

Camera Shy

Old enough to know better
Regular User
Its a lovely one this, I left it in leads and rumours ages ago, shame it's so fking far away from me. Must be 7/8 years since it was sold at auction, so surprised it's not had more attention. hopefully it won't get twatted all over and I'll get chance to see it.

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Nice one. I do love a slab as much as the next person. I hope it stays off the goons radar. Just hope no one takes an outsider here, a rolling stone and all.

Speed

Got Epic Slow?
Regular User
Nice one, checked it a couple of times over the years but never with success!