real time web analytics
Report - - Diocletian, Bolton - September 2013 | UK Draining Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Diocletian, Bolton - September 2013

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Snake Oil

go in drains
28DL Full Member
Diocletian, Bolton

Explored with ConcreteJungle and ViralEye

ConcreteJungle has had this place on his radar for a while but every time we planned to go popping lids to find it there was always something going on top side which meant too many people around. Fast forward a few weeks and after lifting a few lids with no access we found the first CSO. This whetted our appetites as we knew there was more to be seen so a couple more lids opened and we were in.

A relief system comprising of several sewers, a couple of overflow chambers and a mahoosive 10000m[SUP]3[/SUP] offline storage tank to store excess "water" during storms/heavy rainfall which is later pumped back into the sewers once levels have dropped sufficiently. Judging by the amount of flushed ladies things dangling off the top deck this place fills right up to the top which is one huge lake of shit! Its also a pain to light because its quite misty and it just eats light for fun. Unfortunately there was no access to be had to the pump building above, but the immense size of the place more than made up for it.

A huge thank you to CJ for the invite to check this place out!

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

09.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

pastybarm

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Had a look at the outfall of this yesterday, looking and smelling suitably fresh. If only I could bottle the smell, lol

Attachments

• IMG_20200709_112716906_BURST001.jpg
    IMG_20200709_112716906_BURST001.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 22

TheVicar

Loyal to the Drain
Regular User
Nice to re-read this report. What a repugnant tank that was, the soup at the bottom of those ladders was like something out of the devil's own backside after a night on the lash.

Yes the outfall beckons from across the river whilst wafting its freshness across the children's play area.

haych

Keep it real
28DL Full Member
sorry to revive an old thread, and this is a probably very self explainable, but i take it the rags on the steps means that bastard fills all the way up to the top? that would be terrifying...... anybody shed some light on this for me?

pastybarm

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Yes, am local to the town and lived very near this site. The region is famous for rainfall and the nearby river can be a frightening sight in full flood. I would say it can definitely fill all the way to the top, but there is an overflow valve which connects to the spill culvert, it would be a once a year event if it happened though, just my two cents, as that is what it was designed for.

haych

Keep it real
28DL Full Member
Man that would be some shit if you were unfortunate enough to be in somewhere like that in the event of like a freak storm or flood

KCM

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Great Pics. That is one huge hole. Amazed that a structure like that is under our feet. Smashing.

pastybarm

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
@haych It is an "on top" or sensitive location, so I can't really reveal the location, or discuss the hows and whys too much you understand, but what I can say is google and the internet will give you answers with the right combinations of words. Not 100 percent, but I think it may be considered part of the national infrastructure.

@KCM I thought there were bigger elsewhere in the gman area, but this is indeed massive.I am genuinely curious to know if there is anything bigger in the manchester area, or the UK as a whole. Has to be surely?

pastybarm

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Yes, I seem to recall something of massive projects in Blackpool, I think there may also be some in Lancaster and the lakes area. Not disputing what you typed at all, but the report I read on it claimed diocletian to be bigger, but I agree with you, I think in my sights is much bigger overall.

NuBoid

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
That is 'tanktastic' great shots....bet its quite overwhelming in there
Anybody remember watching a documentary on TV about 4/5 years back called 'Watermen' ?????
It showed UU cleaning out a massive tank like this in Accrington. I noticed at the man entry point there was 2 stone built pyramids, or similar type of artefact (prob some memorial of some kind)
Google earthed the F... out of it but cant find....ring any bells with anyone ?????

pastybarm

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I think there is definitely more in Lancashire and Cumbria yet to be unearthed, so to speak. Think the one you mention may well have been explored, but could be wrong as I think there may have been newer ones built since. I am really hopeful we will get some accy and blackpool based explorers to really crack the nut, so to speak.

NuBoid

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I think there is definitely more in Lancashire and Cumbria yet to be unearthed, so to speak. Think the one you mention may well have been explored, but could be wrong as I think there may have been newer ones built since. I am really hopeful we will get some accy and blackpool based explorers to really crack the nut, so to speak.

Hi @pastybarm
Just looked at the CSO at Accrington on here that @TheVicar did a while back its certainly not that one so they may be 2 or more. I could have got confused on the location as the tv prog was a while back now and from memory it was very similar to the one in Bolton...maybe its that one ???
On a similar matter...I remember reading on here on another report of some someone trying to access somewhere with 'no access' and it was said "with a bit of engineering we were in" what do you think that means ??? just wondering what is acceptable behavior to gain entry?? I am not one to damage, vandalise or graff any property but there is a liitle cso near me that is barred up and cant help thinking that they wouldn't miss just one of the bars so I can get in.
Also there is a new big tank in Anchorsholme Park, Blackpool but im sure it will be all locked up with stainless doors and padlocks and Houdini would struggle to get in ha ha

pastybarm

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Interesting, I recall that CSO, and now you mention it is not that one, this adds some zest to things. I do recall seeing something online about a newer massive tank being built in Accy, so I well believe what you have typed. I won't comment on the "bit of engineering", eyes are watching, you might be better to ask the poster of the report. Do remember reading about the anchorsholme park one, but imagine it must be well locked down. another addition, it seems anchorsholme park has reopened recently, at least according to facebook and there is a video on youtube, be interested to see what there is topside, is there anyone local?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBhXZbJSisA

Regards,
pb

Last edited:

Who has read this thread (Total: 180) View details