real time web analytics
Don Cutlery Works, Sheffield, July / August 2023 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Don Cutlery Works, Sheffield, July / August 2023

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

tarkovsky

SWC
Regular User

Image_02082023_0004.jpg

I have wanted to see in this place forever and I've been checking it regularly for a long time, so on the way home from the pub one evening last month when I saw a way in I was quite excited. My first visit, armed only with my phone, soon resulted in a fair amount of disappointment as I stumbled around what on the surface appeared to be a rapidly crumbling and seemingly empty deathtrap. However, my interest was piqued and there was enough of the place I'd still not seen that meant I couldnt just leave it there. It took a return visit with @Sheard to finally unearth some of it's hidden potential, followed by 'a few' further visits, including one in the company of @tweek and @Esoteric Eric - all of whom I thank for humouring me in my obsession with this place. It's only a derp, but it's not the kind of derp that comes up with any kind of regularity any more - and it's also the kind of place that proves that the 'UE as documenting history' thing isn't just something made up as a cover for having a naughty hobby.

Don Cutlery works is Grade 2 Listed: https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-
entry/1392480?section=official-list-entry - the stuff about it being 'largely intact' is a bit laughable now, given how the state of the whole place has clearly declined dramatically since the listing was written.

The works were initially build for Southern & Richardson Cutlery who used the building from 1851 until 1910. Their corporate mark was a bird’s nest and three eggs... (slogan: 'Nest Knives are the Best Knives'). Employment was 161 in 1871; and 197 in 1881 (a quarter of them boys and girls). By the late 1880s, the workforce probably surpassed 200 (according to The Sheffield Independent, 6 September 1889, the firm employed about 300). Certainly, it was amongst the top twenty cutlery manufacturers in the town. However, working at the firm could be fatal. In 1858, a nine-year-old girl was ‘frightfully mutilated’ after entanglement in an unguarded grindstone shaft (Sheffield Independent, 2 October 1858).​

Source: Southern & Richardson Ltd

AE7F0484-7CF5-4043-8845-91171DD11569.png
1899 saw what is referred to as 'The Sheffield Boiler Disaster' where the Lancashire Boiler that provided power to the works exploded, killing seven people - five men and two children. The inquest found that a defective water gauge was to blame. You can read more about the explosion in great detail on the link below. The guy in the pic in the top hat was apparently the owner of the cutlers.

414D7CE7-BEB7-40A9-9847-6E3D6DEA4F8A.jpeg

Extract:

'There was a few minutes’ warning of impending danger in the shape of a leakage into one of the flues, and then with a roar like that of heavy artillery the explosion took place. It was an explosion down into one of the flues, and the effects were horizontal in two directions. At one end the fire plate was blown off, two occupants of the fire hole being instantly killed, and at the other the brickwork of the chamber which diverts the heated gases from the flues to the smoke stack, was hurled across a yard into the goffing shop and a number of men and boys working there were injured by flying debris and scalding steam and water. All the surrounding workshops were instantly filled with steam, and while some of the workmen stampeded, others, realising that their means of escape was cut off, smashed the windows of their workshops and lay down upon the floor until the steam became less suffocating.'

The Sheffield Boiler Disaster - 1st November 1899

More recently the building was used by J. W. Bartholomew and Sons, Sheet Metal Workers. They eventually left in 2005 to move to another site- all of the calendars still on the walls remain on the July 2005 page. The building is now owned by a nearby locksmith and security firm, who use the land round the back as a customer car park.

Here's a couple of external pics on film I took in 2019.

Part 1_0017.jpeg

IMG_000045.jpeg

The rest of the photos in this thread are from the last few weeks. The typewriter dates from early 1900s and features two full sets of keys - one for capitals and one for lower case. The packets of ointments and bandages are from a first aid box - the antiseptic cream came in really handy when I stood on a rusty nail and it went all the way into my foot. The typewriter was presumably used to type out the carefully typed records, neatly filed away in two drawers - most of these dated from the 1930s and detailed orders from all over the country for items such as door knobs, fire guards, ashpans, 'hot closet plates', 'flue extension pieces' etc etc. Some of these were handwritten too. We found these, along with the typewriter, on a high shelf in a really small room that - judging from the layers of accumulated dirt on the other side of the door - hadn’t been opened for many years. The setup below was for the purpose of the photos - nobody would actually sit at a safe to use a typewriter, but given that most of the building is boarded up this was one of the few rooms that provided enough light to take a decent photo (note: on my most recent visit I noticed the typewriter has now gone walkies)

IMG_1088.jpeg

IMG_0449.jpeg

IMG_1089.jpeg

IMG_0446.jpeg

IMG_1091.jpeg

IMG_0445.jpeg

Note the Union Jack sicker on the first aid room door - I’ll come back to that later.

IMG_0442.jpeg

IMG_0657.jpeg

IMG_0659.jpeg

IMG_0683.jpeg

IMG_0669.jpeg

The newspaper was an issue of the Sheffield Star from 1991.

IMG_0673.jpeg

IMG_1087.jpeg

The stationery features the mark of long-forgotten Sheffield stationers, Pawson and Brailsford.

IMG_1090.jpeg

IMG_1098.jpeg

Of particular interest in the grade two listing from 1998 is the presence of 'a hydraulic press, electric motor, and line shafting to the rebuilt single-storey workshop'. Pretty happy when we opened another door and found... it's all still there.

IMG_1103.jpeg

IMG_1111.jpeg

IMG_1085.jpeg

IMG_1092.jpeg

A few black and white film

Image_02082023_0002.jpeg

Image_02082023_0007 2.jpeg

Image_02082023_0005.jpg

Image_02082023_0009 2.jpg

Image_02082023_0011 2.jpg

Image_02082023_0001 2.jpg

In the next thread I'll throw in some digi / iPhone pics and a little more related historical trivia.​

Last edited:

tarkovsky

SWC
Regular User
This pic is one I took ten years ago - the pasteups are by a local artist called Simon Kent. You can see that in 2013 the road was still cobbled - it’s been tarmaced over more recently.

DSC_0050-001_Original.jpeg

IMG_0106.jpeg

DSC_0054.jpeg

IMG_0313.jpeg

IMG_0109.jpeg

IMG_0248.jpeg

IMG_0591.jpeg

The union jack sticker on the door dates from 1968 and the ‘I’m Backing Britain’ campaign. You can read more about it here, but in brief it was a plan to boost the economy at the time by encouraging workers to put in an extra half hour of work per day, unpaid. There was even a song sung by Bruce Forsyth released to accompany the campaign (it was a flop). Jimmy Saville found his own way to support the campaign by volunteering to work for nine days unpaid as a hospital porter at Leeds Royal infirmary. [insert head exploding emoji] I'm Backing Britain - Wikipedia (pic by @Sheard )

IMG_0775.jpeg

IMG_0977.jpeg

IMG_0226.jpeg

IMG_0232.jpeg

IMG_0249.jpeg

IMG_0273.jpeg

DSC_0025.jpeg

IMG_0476.jpeg

IMG_0478.jpeg

There was writing on the walls all over this place. At least one staff member seemed to love Led Zeppelin and Metallica (note the cross on the door in the pic after). Some of my favourite pieces of writing include comments on pay and working conditions - ‘WANK WAGE RISE’, ‘OUR BOSS IS A COMEDIAN - THE MONEY HE PAYS US IS A JOKE’, ‘29 DEC 95 FROZEN’ - random wordplay - ‘TEEF + BOMATO / NOT POODLE / BETTY SWOLLOCKS’ and the legend ‘TURKEY TITS’.

IMG_0485.jpeg

IMG_0480.jpeg

IMG_0507.jpeg

IMG_0536.jpeg

IMG_0538.jpeg

IMG_0540.jpeg

The next two photos show just how ruined the right hand side of the building is - the floors and some of the walls have totally collapsed.

IMG_0588.jpeg

IMG_0691.jpeg

IMG_0594.jpeg

IMG_0689.jpeg

IMG_0697.jpeg

IMG_0585.jpeg

IMG_1013.jpeg

IMG_1024.jpeg

To recap: absolute deathtrap, but some nice features.​

Last edited:

tweek

SNC/SWC
Regular User
I think places like this are quite old school in a way... and almost bread and butter exploring; where there's a bit of a personal bugbear exorcised, some historical significance uncovered and a bit of effort taken to document it well.. (because let's face it that's quite a challenge here from a photography perspective). I think it's pretty reassuring there are still death traps like this still yet to be seen.

dansgas1000

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Nice example of a timewarp, even though it's a bit of a cliche term. The film shots are excellent and really suit the place, great report. Also interesting read about that boiler explosion.

tarkovsky

SWC
Regular User
Any more pics of that 'electric motor'? Looks more like a lineshaft-driven hydraulic pump...
No, it was in a wooden box so the pics above are kind of the only possible angles.

And yeah I clearly mislabelled it due to not having a fucking clue about anything haha! I think I read the grade 2 listing description and assumed that was what they were talking about - I'd found a similar image online which had an extra bit on top of the wheel that powered it but can't find it now.

dave

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Great find your pics are beautiful shame the type writer has gone, loving the gauge. Sheffield has produced some gems over the years nice to see another one thanks for posting.

Speed

Got Epic Slow?
Regular User
Very Sheffield! Is this the place just down from Record??

It's funny what they leave behind. The swager in there would do a good 500quid on ebay. Why leave it and take everything else!!?

Who has read this thread (Total: 222) View details