real time web analytics
Report - - Dropmore, Buckinghamshire- Georgian Aviary February 2014 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Dropmore, Buckinghamshire- Georgian Aviary February 2014

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Woollven

28DL Member
28DL Member
Dropmore House in Buckinghamshire is a once-great country house designed by Samuel Wyatt in the 1790s for Lord Grenville. Since the late 20th century, it's fortunes have declined and the main house suffered two major fires. The house which exists today is largely a recreation from about ten years ago.

What makes Dropmore remarkable though, is a collection of garden buildings and follies built during the course of the 19th century, reflecting the changing taste and frivolities of a wealthy family at that time. For the past twenty or so years, these buildings have been left to rot, and many are now on the brink of collapse.

The Aviary is a unique, Grade I listed structure dating from the Regency period. It originally had Chinese style tiles around the metal panels.The photos I am posting here were taken on a visit in February. I have many more photos of the other buildings that I will upload in due course that show the elaborate decoration and terrible neglect that these buildings have suffered.

IMG_8673_zpsc1c0d93a.gif

View attachment 581374

View attachment 581375

View attachment 581376

Last edited: