real time web analytics
Report - - Duke of Lancaster - August 2014 | Other Sites | Page 2 | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Duke of Lancaster - August 2014

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

BrainL

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I've got to agree with @Bigjobs on this one... my family live down the road and its an eyesore driving past it all the time and really cant imagine anyone would actually use it if it were reopened..

Sell it as scrap and get rid of the thing!

jackndanni

Banned
Banned
I've got to agree with @Bigjobs on this one... my family live down the road and its an eyesore driving past it all the time and really cant imagine anyone would actually use it if it were reopened..

Sell it as scrap and get rid of the thing!
I think, my own personal opinion, if the ship goes, a lot of people will miss her more than they think they would? She has put the area on the map, even the way she looks today. She has also helped the businesses in the area the same way. I used to work at Abakhan Fabrics years ago. When folk asked me where I worked they had never heard of Abakhan. When I said "The place next to the Funship" they instantly knew!
Also, the story behind the ship and the reason why she sits closed and deteriorating is the main thing that is really the issue here. All down to a corrupt local Council which should be a massive concern, especially to the locals of the area? You may not care about the ship but whose to say that one day, it WILL be something you and your family do care about? I find that very worrying don't you?

jackndanni

Banned
Banned
I went there today looks cool would be good to look inside I posted your petition link on all the forsale sites I have on Facebook for this area I recon the power of social media is what this petition needs I signed it and its at 4375 out of 5000 so kinda nearly there
Thank you! Yes I agree that social media is the first good thing that has ever happened to the ship. If it had been around years ago the Council would have found attacking the owners the way they did wouldn't have been so easy?

jackndanni

Banned
Banned
I don't think that's the issue at all. If there's just one fisherman's car parked on that track, the fire engine won't be able to pass - that's the issue.
The issue is the Council refused planning on the basis that fire engines couldn't get to the ship in 1979 and still say that today claiming the Glan-y-Don bridge is too weak to carry them. If they hadn't found an alternative route in 1979 the ship would never have opened at all! That bridge is not weak and never has been. That is the issue. The Council's claims are false. John Rowley is currently waiting for a response from Colin Everett, the CEO of Flintshire Council, after he wrote to him offering to enter into a discussion about the ship's future. John replied, laying his cards on the table, asking for his take on the bridge issue and whether the Council now acknowledge the bridge is not too weak to carry fire engines? That was 8 months ago and he has not replied since.
I would like to add that it has now been discovered than the CEO of the Council, Colin Everett is also the Chief Clerk to the North Wales Fire & Rescue Service :eek:

Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin
You haven't addressed the issue of the single track lane? What if there's a car or two parked along there?

jackndanni

Banned
Banned
You haven't addressed the issue of the single track lane? What if there's a car or two parked along there?
The single track lane is more than adequate to take a fire engine. The risk of there being a fire at the ship and the need for the fire brigade will hopefully, never happen, but to enable it to open to the public, they have to be able to get there. If a car was parked on the track then I guess they would be charged with obstructing the fire brigade?

Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin
The single track lane is more than adequate to take a fire engine. The risk of there being a fire at the ship and the need for the fire brigade will hopefully, never happen, but to enable it to open to the public, they have to be able to get there. If a car was parked on the track then I guess they would be charged with obstructing the fire brigade?

That's not the point. How would the fire brigade get past?

BrainL

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I think, my own personal opinion, if the ship goes, a lot of people will miss her more than they think they would? She has put the area on the map, even the way she looks today. She has also helped the businesses in the area the same way. I used to work at Abakhan Fabrics years ago. When folk asked me where I worked they had never heard of Abakhan. When I said "The place next to the Funship" they instantly knew!
Also, the story behind the ship and the reason why she sits closed and deteriorating is the main thing that is really the issue here. All down to a corrupt local Council which should be a massive concern, especially to the locals of the area? You may not care about the ship but whose to say that one day, it WILL be something you and your family do care about? I find that very worrying don't you?

Think that's a matter of opinion to be honest.. I think lots of people know that area for the market and also Abakhan, I've honestly never heard anyone from Prestatyn etc say a good word about that ship.. I hope your campaign works and proves me wrong I really do but for me personally I think it looks awful and would be best getting rid :)

jackndanni

Banned
Banned
Think that's a matter of opinion to be honest.. I think lots of people know that area for the market and also Abakhan, I've honestly never heard anyone from Prestatyn etc say a good word about that ship.. I hope your campaign works and proves me wrong I really do but for me personally I think it looks awful and would be best getting rid :)
Aren't you concerned at all at how the local authority behave? They really are corrupt and if you do something they don't like or agree with will let you know about it! I find the whole scenario where the ship is concerned so wrong on many levels and I am not from the area so haven't been denied as much as the people that are.have.
For the short time the ship was open it became the third most popular tourist attraction in Wales. It brought jobs and all sorts of other benefits. The area is now the second most deprived areas in North Wales, so opportunities like this are not to be sneezed at.

jackndanni

Banned
Banned
The only bad thing that anyone can say about the ship is the fact she looks quite bad on the exterior. I find it quite a bizarre sight and always have, so think it is something unusual and very 'different'. The reasons why she looks in such a state is once again down to the corrupt Council so maybe the people need to show their opinion to the causers?

jackndanni

Banned
Banned
To be honest, you'll struggle to find a council that doesn't behave like that.
Maybe that's whats wrong with the Country then? To deliberately attack something that would bring only benefits is ludicrous? It doesn't make it right though even if all Councils' do behave this way?