real time web analytics
Report - - Dunaskin Ironwork's (Ayrshire) - September 2014 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Dunaskin Ironwork's (Ayrshire) - September 2014

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Abaddon Inc

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
History:

Date stone - 1847

During the Industrial Revolution, iron was one of the great growth industries. In 1836 Henry Houldsworth, owner of a mill in Glasgow, diversified his business interests and created the Coltness Iron Works. Ten years later he and his son John brought the iron industry to the remote Doon Valley. Henry built his iron foundry on the site of Dunaskin farm and the early Victorian field pattern remains in outline surrounding the works.

The area, although rich in iron, coal and water, was almost totally lacking in transport links. Everything for the construction of the foundry had to be brought in by train to Ayr and then by horse to Dunaskin. Twenty four pairs of horses were needed to haul the great beam for the blast engines alone. Iron was continually produced here from 1848 until 1921, when the buildings became a brickwork's and then a processing plant for the coal mines until the late 1970's. One of the most complete Industrial Revolution ironwork's in Europe.

SOURCE

My Visit:

I pass this site all the time on route to Ayr and I've always wanted to take a look inside. The site is now host to a steam and diesel train museum and holds some of the old trains which were moved up from Dalmellington. I attended the last train museum open day of the year, but spent more time in the old buildings than I did looking at the trains. Overall, it's quite a large site and there's certainly plenty to see both inside and outside of the buildings. This was a 2 day visit and the images mixed.

1DSC_1639_-2_-3_-4_-5_tonemapped-2WEB_zps3a847c07.gif

This was the first building I entered...

View attachment 613111
This area was pretty dark and filled with the sound of dripping water...

View attachment 613112
I found this board pretty amusing...

View attachment 613113
I loved the light showing through these stairs...

View attachment 613114
It was actually darker than the photo shows...

View attachment 613115
Seemed safe enough to go up...

View attachment 613116
Plenty of rust...

View attachment 613117
This is the upper floor of the first building...

View attachment 613118
Cool little set of stairs...

View attachment 613119
Time for out...

View attachment 613120
On to the next couple of buildings...

View attachment 613121
There's no way that would be safe...

View attachment 613122
First room...

View attachment 613123
I tested these ladders and chickened out...

View attachment 613124
Too old and wobbly for my liking...

View attachment 613125
Next room and more concrete blocks...

View attachment 613126
If their going to ruin sites with pointless writing on the walls, they could at least get the spelling right...

View attachment 613127
Some kind of production belt...

View attachment 613128
This set of stairs I did go up although I wouldn't recommend it!

View attachment 613129 [/URL]
Looking out the window...

View attachment 613130
These stairs really didn't feel safe...

View attachment 613131
I upset the crows in here and the noise was deafening. Headed back out pretty fast...

View attachment 613132
It looked like individual storage rooms around the smaller building, this is one of them...

View attachment 613133
I jumped the gate, climbed the stairs and this is whats above the storage rooms...

View attachment 613134
Looking back towards the entrance...

View attachment 613135
This building was well sealed up...

View attachment 613136
Familiar site for us locals...

View attachment 613137
Really need to watch your step in there...

View attachment 613138
Roofs long gone...

View attachment 613139
More rusty goodness...

Got loads more images from this site, but I'll stop here for now... Thanks for looking :thumb

Idle Hands

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I spent a rushed hour here a couple of years ago. Wish I'd had longer really there's a fair bit to see. You're better going when it's 'closed' though rather than on an open day - always better to have a site to yourself!

Nice pictures :)

Abaddon Inc

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Thanks for the views and comments folks :)

I spent a rushed hour here a couple of years ago. Wish I'd had longer really there's a fair bit to see. You're better going when it's 'closed' though rather than on an open day - always better to have a site to yourself!

Nice pictures :)

I got the exterior shots during the open day. Second day I went the site was closed, that's when I ventured inside. Dunaskin is only 2 or 3 miles from where I live, so I'll no doubt go back out at some point.