real time web analytics
Report - - Dunlop, Manchester 12/22 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Dunlop, Manchester 12/22

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

bignickb

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Charles Macintosh invented a way to allow a rubber compound to fuse with fabric and create a workable waterproof outfit for inclement weather. In 1825, he built a factory in Manchester (What a smart move! where else would you make a killing on Raincoats. Lol)
Sadly there were still issues with the material but a tip from Charles Goodyear solved it and they patented the idea Before he could.
The main building was taken over by Dunlop and the signage is still mounted, along with the wall mounted cable supports.
A lot of the buildings were demolished but some still remain today as lavish apartments conveniently close to the city centre, the section I visited has been left to rot though for reasons that evade me.
I previously saw some explorer's clip in here and they stated that there may be an underground tunnel to the centre; There was an tunnel but it was an underground flue that led to the hexagonal chimney across the road from the Chorlton mill.
The site also has a grisly past; in 2016 a fashion shoot took place there after some people broke in to do a model shoot. Unfortunately they came across a young man who had hung himself, but rather than use common sense, class it as a crime scene and call the authorities - they just took the pictures elsewhere in the building and didn't announce the find until hours later!
Today, I was trying out a few bucket list sites and after many failures I decided to have another look at this place.
It is beautifully deteriorating and is a great find, it even had a cellar space to explore.
Suffice to say - it was very creepy and I got the same feeling from when I was on an old bridge that was also a popular suicide spot.

On with the pics!

Beware of pop bands hiding here.
_DSC0430b.jpg

Transformer.
_DSC0434b.jpg

Steps to the third floor, where the body was found.
_DSC0403b.jpg

Top floor! That paint erosion around the switch in the shape of a noose creeped me out!
_DSC0406b.jpg

The cellar; it looks like they just pushed debris from a nearby demolition against the walls and it burst through the windows!
_DSC0423b.jpg

_DSC0426b.jpg

First Floor:
_DSC0402b.jpg

Sketchy looking stairs:
_DSC0393b.jpg

Still sketchy, but stable:
_DSC0394b.jpg

_DSC0401b.jpg

_DSC0385b.jpg

Cable holder, there are still lots of these on the exterior:
_DSC0398b.jpg

tweek

SNC/SWC
Regular User
Charles Macintosh invented a way to allow a rubber compound to fuse with fabric and create a workable waterproof outfit for inclement weather. In 1825, he built a factory in Manchester (What a smart move! where else would you make a killing on Raincoats. Lol)

Nice report.

I found it interesting that Manchester gets less annual rainfall than Rome. Apparently there's 14 cities in the UK with more annual rainfall than Manchester too. I lived in Manny for nearly a decade and it definitely feels like a perpetually rainy place... even if a bit of a statistical myth.

Who has read this thread (Total: 250) View details