Web
Analytics
Report - - Dunster ROC post (internal pics) April 2010 - Timeline of a micro-explore. | ROC Posts | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Dunster ROC post (internal pics) April 2010 - Timeline of a micro-explore.

Styru

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Dunster ROC post April 2010 - Timeline of a micro-explore.

18:35 HRS

Salad-supplier_zpsd01a6984.jpg

Styru is sitting at the kitchen table trying to convince mini-styru’s 1 & 2 to eat more salad (telling them it’s good for them – but also very aware that it needs using before it goes out of date)

18:36 HRS

Alexander-Orlov_zpsff6ca559.jpg

A little voice – namely Alexander the meercat – is shouting at Styru from the depths of his camera bag to inform him that he has a text message.

18:37 HRS

pedalpowerpolicecar.jpg

Styru looks at phone – mmmm, it’s a text from a "well wisher":

Text reads:

Styru (well it actually had my real name – ‘cos I’m not actually called Styru you know) a Royal Observer Corp bunker has been forced open at Dunster beach. Crown Estates are going to re-secure. If you want to take photos it might be worth an urgent trip…
(a second text then gave directions) (I know it well anyway – but this was a nice touch)

18:38 HRS

Now this bunker has been reported on a few times here – but always as locked, so I took all of 30 seconds to think about it.

18:40 HRS

stock-footage-man-shouting-megaphone-isolated-on-a-white-background_zps457d280d.jpg

Having shouted instructions at the kids –

“mini-styru 1 do your homework!”
“mini-styru 2 fill the dishwasher!”
– I jump in the car.

electric-g-wiz-cars-for-sale_zps39aaaa64.jpg

(picture used for illustrative purposes only - actual car may differ from illustration) (thank f00k)

18:59 HRS

Dunster ROC is in a lovely position, yards from the sea, and approached over a footbridge that crosses this.

CopyofDSC_9792.jpg

DSC_9757.jpg

The ROC post sits in a freshly ploughed field

DSC_9790.jpg

VERY. VERY, freshly ploughed in fact (did you spot the tractor in one of the above pics?)

A quick word with the farmer – “mind if I cross your land mate?” led to a much longer talk – very nice bloke, had been down the post about 15 years ago – but had no real idea what it was/what the history was etc.

One quick history lesson later and he was helping me lift the rather stiff hatch.

DSC_9786.jpg

(there's that bloke with the tractor again)

Apologies for the quick-snap nature of the pics – but I was already late for another appointment when I arrived (and even later when I left!)

DSC_9787.jpg

DSC_9785.jpg

DSC_9784.jpg

DSC_9762.jpg

A few bits down there, and about 4 inches of water (sump pump a no-go) – not the best ever, but nice to get the chance to document it.

DSC_9769.jpg

DSC_9761.jpg

DSC_9768.jpg

DSC_9767.jpg

DSC_9765.jpg

DSC_9764.jpg

DSC_9776.jpg

The Glitto had seen better days..

DSC_9774.jpg

DSC_9772.jpg

DSC_9771.jpg

DSC_9770.jpg

DSC_9782.jpg

DSC_9780.jpg

DSC_9778.jpg

When I left I replaced the locking bar in its former position (to give the impression that it was still secure)

DSC_9789.jpg

DSC_9788.jpg

Crown Estates (who own the post) has its main office in the area only about half a mile from the post, and, as I understand, they are due out today to re-secure the post. So by the time you get to read this it will probably be locked again (and knowing Crown Estates - a lot more securely than before)

A rare chance, thanks to a bit of local knowledge :thumb

Last edited:

diehardlove

1 of them cnuts off 28dsl
Regular User
Re: Dunster ROC post April 2010 - Timeline of a micro-explore.

nice work stryu,i love the write up its funny.

Collingwood

The quiet one..
28DL Full Member
Great write up Styru, fancy babysitting my kids tonight while I go and reccee a new hospital site i've just found!!
:eek:
Only joking mate, nice report though.

Styru

Admin
Staff member
Admin
fancy babysitting my kids tonight while I go and reccee a new hospital site i've just found!!
:eek:

That's one advantage to them growing up (in fact 'mini-styru 1' is 2 inches taller than me, and a member on here) - the ability to drop and run without having to find a baby-sitter is loverrrrlllllyyy :)

Actually, the fact that they are old enough to empty/fill the dishwasher is pretty good too.

Ratsandwich

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Excellent write up. I've seen the post a few times (my old man has a chalet on Dunster beach and I like to go down there to check on my inheritance!) and now it's nice to see what it's like inside.

Ordnance

Still owned by Crown Estates and in the middle of a field? Odd that as most were given back to the landowners were they not?

Ordnance

Ah! I was driving back from the British Legion and it suddenly hit me. CROWN ESTATES as in ROYAL as in the Land Owner it was given back to - Not Defence Estates as I wrongly assumed earlier.

They will of course own the farm as a Tennet Farm as well in that neck of the woods... Silly me. They will probably own title to one or two ROC posts here & there.

I used to live in a Douchy of Cornwall (aka Charlies pocket money) house at Princetown on Dartmoor.

Last edited:

steve_o

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Ah! I was driving back from the British Legion and it suddenly hit me. CROWN ESTATES as in ROYAL as in the Land Owner it was given back to - Not Defence Estates as I wrongly assumed earlier.

They will of course own the farm as a Tennet Farm as well in that neck of the woods... Silly me. They will probably own title to one or two ROC posts here & there.

I used to live in a Douchy of Cornwall (aka Charlies pocket money) house at Princetown on Dartmoor.
Wander if that would be a cheaper way to buy a post, rather than Bid and pay silly amounts on Ebay. Do Crown Estates often take to folk asking to buy land?

bish

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Curses, wish i had your contacts mate, i live in a Crown Estate house 3/4 mile from the post,been keeping an eye on it for many a year, and never gained access:(

Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Curses, wish i had your contacts mate, i live in a Crown Estate house 3/4 mile from the post,been keeping an eye on it for many a year, and never gained access:(
Go take a look if you're that close, it might not be locked up yet.