real time web analytics
Report - - Durham County Hospital Mortuary, January 2015. | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Durham County Hospital Mortuary, January 2015.

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

SirHissjunior

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
This is an old explore I've decided to report on even though it's well known.
I am still eager to view reports from others on places I've been to as I like to see a different take on the place in terms of what that author thought of it and of the images they captured.
I hope my perspective and images here are of some interest to others.

A wee slice of history;

County hospital, Durham was a hospital in Durham City built in 1853 from public donations and subscriptions, until services were moved to Lanchester Road Hospital on the Earls House Hospital site on the outskirts of the city.

On an elevated point in the City of Durham, is a spacious building of stone, supported by donations and public subscriptions and erected in 1853, in the Elizabethan style, at a cost of £7,500, and will hold 44 patients. In 1867 male and female convalescent wards were added at a cost of £2,400 as a memorial of the late Dean Waddington, who in 1865 contributed £2,000 to the funds of the hospital, and subsequently a further sum of £2,000, and finally bequeathed by will £6,000 more. Additional wards were added by the late John Eden esq., of Beamish Park, who gave a sum of £2,000 towards their erection, and bequeathed a further sum of £10,000. These were opened December 2, 1886.

The Explore;

I visited with a non member in January 2015. After doing the usual research on this location we expected it to be tight with the likelihood of a security presence.
Quite possibly the easiest access and most laid back explore I've done to date.
Considering this building is even smaller than Maiden Law I still thoroughly enjoyed being there and taking in a porcelain slab. These have way more character to them than the steel ones. I love all of these Victorian asylums and the little architectural and decorative things that go along with them.

I might also be late to the part on this one but how beautiful is Durham?! Definitely a city I need to visit again purely just for a wander about and a look at that Cathedral.

Anyway, enjoy!

Edit6_zps48qln2uj.gif

View attachment 687003

View attachment 687004

View attachment 687005

View attachment 687006

View attachment 687007

View attachment 687008

Last edited:

YorkshireLuchador

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Hey, nice pictures, so is this place really small? are there many other rooms? Just wondered if it might be worth deleting your access information, I know you said it was easy but might be worth deleting your extra details, usually best to keep that stuff off a public forum.

SirHissjunior

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Hey, nice pictures, so is this place really small? are there many other rooms? Just wondered if it might be worth deleting your access information, I know you said it was easy but might be worth deleting your extra details, usually best to keep that stuff off a public forum.

The places is tiny. That one room is it.
I visited 18 months ago and since then the place has been boarded up. I'm sure the easy access is long gone.

YorkshireLuchador

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Oh 2015!!! sorry my mistake, yeah I doubt it matters so much now! I haven't seen this place before so it was nice to see

SirHissjunior

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I've edited it out anyway.
Yeah a lovely wee place to explore. I might need to pay it a visit again before it goes.

Urbexbandoned

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice pics, one of my favourites this. The first bit of porcelain I saw. I do prefer Maiden Law though.
I understand there used to be a building to the right which you can see is visibly demolished/gone which used to house the fridges.