real time web analytics
Report - - EastEnd House, Lanarkshire - June 14 | Other Sites | Page 2 | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - EastEnd House, Lanarkshire - June 14

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

ScoobySnacks79

28DL Member
28DL Member
Pity the Carmichael family do not look after it!

I take it the stairs in Picture One are 'Front of House' and the ones in Picture Seven the 'Back Servants Stairs'
They look after it as much as possible. The roof is repaired when it leaks. Sadly like many of the great old families, they are land rich but cash poor. Given the estimated cost to bring it to a safe standard is around the £8m mark at last estimate (a few years ago) I don't think there are many families who could afford to fix it. There was some interest from overseas investors, to turn it in to a conference centre/hotel sort of place but the costs were prohibitive. It's not the Carmichaels fault either. It was basically beyond economic repair when they bought it back in the late 80's after the last member of the "cadet" branch died. They had even less money so the house had been allowed to deteriorate since it was used by the Polish command in WW2. If I ever win the Euro millions I'll be having serious discussions with the Carmichaels. I love this place.