real time web analytics
Report - - Edison Swan Cable Works, Lower Lydbrook - Feb 2008 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Edison Swan Cable Works, Lower Lydbrook - Feb 2008

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

tumbles

Drama Queen
Staff member
Easily one of my favorite industrial explores. Perhaps because its local but also because I remember it in use during the early 1990s. As a teenager spent a few weekends at the YHA opposite and even back then was fascinated with these bulidilngs. We're balls deep in the Forest of Dean and there is a whopping great factory plonked in middle of nowhere. I visited this place plenty of times over the the year (few of the shots are from later in the year) - I just loved the warehouses even though bare but then to find the main administration office looking like that was quite a bonus.. Haven't visted for a good 5-6 years and believe some of its back in use albeit probably as dodgy as before.

1912 Harold J Smith purchased land at Stowfield and erected The Lydbrook Cable Works. The First World War provided a number of contracts with employee numbers expanding from 40 to 650 with double shilfts being worked. With the end of the War, came a slump in business, and in 1920 the Official Receiver was brought in ending Smith?s connection with the Factory.

The business was bought in 1925 by Edison Swan Electric Company. With the greater resources available the plant at Stowfiled further expanded, and was well placed to help with the Second World War possessing one of only four machines for making lead alloy tube needed for P.L.U.T.O. ? (Petroleum Lines Under The Ocean), which allowed fuel to be supplied to the Allied invasion force on the Continent from Britain. In the late 1940s,

Edison Swan was swallowed up by the Associated Electrical Company – integrated with the Siemens Cable Works at Woolwich the Stowfield Factory at its height employed approximately 1,100 people. The Cable Works came to an end in 1966 when the Factory was bought by Reed Paper Group, which in its turn was taken over by a Swedish Company SCA. The factory finally ceased to be used around 2003.

tumbles

Drama Queen
Staff member
I also should have had that Chloride Gents clock in the last but one pic.. jeeeze.

mookster

grumpy sod
Regular User
One place I've always wanted to go but have always been 'put off' by the stories of the security here (and that's putting it lightly). The bit put back into use now is something to do with film production or something like that, it's some sort of studio thing.

tumbles

Drama Queen
Staff member
One place I've always wanted to go but have always been 'put off' by the stories of the security here (and that's putting it lightly). The bit put back into use now is something to do with film production or something like that, it's some sort of studio thing.

Early 2008 you could just walk in through a firedoor on one side and then there was no fence at all at back. All changed since then. It's still a place I'd happily go back to.. not least that power house in the last shot is rather nice - got in it last time only to get caught by the dodgy seccer. Was loaded with interesting stuff.

TheTimeChamber

Torch Wavker
Regular User

Ditto. I thoguht about looking a few months back, only to discover it was now being used for filming. It'll come free again soon!

WhoDaresWins

Let's do this
Regular User
Beautiful bit of industry this. Remember looking at this place once but there was random guy fixing up a car in the site and what looked like pikeys stripping the place into a transit van