real time web analytics
Report - - Enigma , sheffield ,april 2021 | UK Draining Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Enigma , sheffield ,april 2021

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

jezzyboo

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Have had my eye on this well before lockdown began ,been a few times to try and check it out vainly hoping to find something new. from studying maps you can see a man made mill race that spurs of the river Don no doubt to provide water power many years ago for the industrial revolution that swept across great britain , The water just disappears when it meets the bridge on stevenson road yet there is an outfall sluice at the start of the mill race no apparent infall and another outfall on the bridge itself

its not just a trickle of water either as you can see and i couldnt help but wonder if it had been taken underground ?
one entrance blocked up time to head over the other side of the road and lift some lids

brand new man hole and blue plastic pipe not what i was expecting ,well im hear now might as well have a nosy

my first time in a blue MDPE pipe must say its more pleasant than concrete and is quite photogenic lol behind me was a dead end straight ahead is what you see on the pic looking left at 90% you see the gated infall

corrugated metal with spraycrete, moving onwards

there was a lot of frog spawn and encountered mr frog here managed to step over him without hurting him at 1050 diameter it was tight and very very slippery

after a while my legs got cramp but because its so slippery i could slide through on my kneepads had the drains trolley cart in the van but haddnt jumped over the wall with it because i wasnt expecting a modern drain ( my mistake ) went past a few manholes and quite a few sharp bends !

after a time the pipe got dirtier and very silted up and i got dirtier as well ! after a time i came to what looked like a dead end but then i thought there not going to put all that new drain in and just leave a dead end ,the water would need to flow some were ? so crawling through the mud and looking no doubt like the creature from the black lagoon ( crazy stupid hobby this draining lol ) i crawled down and gave it a shove getting it to move only slightly i lay on my back and used my legs to get it open

other side of drain flap felt liked id escaped from prison lol

crawled out here and literally had a bath in the river Don ! well that was to much like hard work , had to scale an 8 foot metal fence at the side of the bridge on newhall road to get out as well ! walking down the five veirs walk i snapped a better pick of my exit point

last one an ariel shot at 263 meters long my legs ached next day i can tell you thanks for watching

Last edited:

urbanchemist

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Suppose if you go down holes like that you'll never run out of places to explore - interesting to see where it goes though.

tarkovsky

SWC
Regular User
Blimey that's some dedication. @tucker flagged this up to me a few years ago as a possible but I took one look at that grated tiny pipe and thought 'nah, I'll leave that'. I think I made the right decision, and rather you than me haha.

jezzyboo

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Blimey that's some dedication. @tucker flagged this up to me a few years ago as a possible but I took one look at that grated tiny pipe and thought 'nah, I'll leave that'. I think I made the right decision, and rather you than me haha.
ha ha yes i think you made the right call there best leave it to the idiots :p was hoping for something better to be honest

tarkovsky

SWC
Regular User

BTW I should have said it's really satisfying to see what it looks like and exactly where it goes without risking my own back, so keep it up!

willkay76

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
That's commitment for you! Nice report.

Not something I would ever explore myself but I do enjoy seeing these types of explore.

NuBoid

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
nice one jezzyboo
sounds like the trolley had an easy of it day basking in the van !!!!!!! ha ha
At first sight of the blue pipe i thought you taken some filters or coloured FX in there till i caught the txt ....not seen a blue plazzy pipe before. looks like one of Dr Who's wormholes .......ha ha
nice shots tho :thumb

hats off BTW for crawling out the tiny outfall

unamadreloca

28DL Member
28DL Member
Hi everyone, finally decided to create an acount and get involved rather than being a passive nosey git and doin nowt!

Anyway, interestingly enough, I walked past this opening the other day whilst I was doing the 5 weir walk thingy and wondered where it led to . . . ?

I know I'll probably get a slapped danny for asking too early, but if anyone has owt scheduled for a 'look around' anywhere new and unchartered (I know, pickings are becoming a little scarce in Sheff), I'd love to tag on.

In the interim, there are a couple of places I can recall as a chab that I might revisit (and hopefully that still exist!) to do a little report on. ;)

popebenedictus

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
It's a mill goit, that used to serve the forge on this site. It was diverted a few years ago as part of the 58 Newhall Road development site, hence the new pipe material.

Who has read this thread (Total: 398) View details