real time web analytics
Report - - European Metal Recycling (EMR) & Charlie Brown's Autocentres - Sheffield - May/June 2021 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - European Metal Recycling (EMR) & Charlie Brown's Autocentres - Sheffield - May/June 2021

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Kit.dyl

28DL Member
28DL Member
Howdy, long time lurker, first time poster, so constructive criticism come at me please.
The photos are an amalgamation of the late May bank holiday and a few weeks later when Charlie Brown's was accessible. Life got a little in the way of this finding it's way here.
This site is literally on my doorstep, however I've only been resident for a few years. I couldn't garner much history on these places, sorry, most is scoured from local history forums, and even the Wednesday forum.

The buildings were not there prior to 1930 as documented by map- Herries road was under construction 1890-1910. There appears to be some historic overlap between the sites too.
European Metal Recycling Ltd are still in operation, however as custom declined after the weighbridge was out of action April 2018, they permanently closed this site. It was previously Bramall's cafe then Bramall's scrap merchants. Charlie Browns autocentres was previously the Blue Star garage and before that in the 1950s it was ran by the Kitson family and known as Kitson's garage/cafe/coaches/service station, which was a stop off or layby for long distance lorry drivers before big cabs were a thing. The sites/the area is said to be marked for redevelopment, what with the previous buildings adjacent to it already flattened and currently used as Wednesday's match day car park, this is likely.

May bank holiday was an afternoon jaunt with another forum member, the site is in front of a main road, so acting as nonchalant as possible, we waltzed in to look around the hangars. Some parts of the building were inaccessible, due to the door not opening wide enough/stuff wedged behind it, whatever, happy to have a mooch around some place new, we didn't push our luck on trying too hard.
The gas pumps, yeeharr:

No sir-

Ahead of the times: hand sanitiser in the offices, it was everywhere.

A bit of housekeeping:

Mid June I went back to see Charlie's- it was late on a miserable day and pretty dark inside, so they're a bit(a lot) rubbish and there was not much in there-

Vast nothings:

Ooh, can't wait to look...

Nothing...

Thanks for looking.

Parysperspective

A peach, a nice welcoming peach
Banned
Nice hi-tech engaged sign there, haha. This has long been rumoured to be sealed, but when things get earmarked for demolition, things seem to open up. Sheffield is being quite fast at demo-ing things at the mo! Best bit is those pumps. Nice lil mooch.