real time web analytics
28DL and UE in the News - Excellent piece & New pictures on BT Anchor Exchange in Birmingham by The B'ham Post | 28DL and Urban Exploring in the News... | Page 2 | 28DaysLater.co.uk

28DL and UE in the News Excellent piece & New pictures on BT Anchor Exchange in Birmingham by The B'ham Post

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

blossie

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Re: Excellent piece & New pictures on BT Anchor Exchange in Birmingham by The B'ham P

A guy I met in the bar of a folk club in Birmingham in the late 60's (friend of a friend) told me about those tunnels (sure he wasn't supposed to have!), he had been doing some sort of work down there.

nokiaman

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Re: Excellent piece & New pictures on BT Anchor Exchange in Birmingham by The B'ham P

A guy I met in the bar of a folk club in Birmingham in the late 60's (friend of a friend) told me about those tunnels (sure he wasn't supposed to have!), he had been doing some sort of work down there.

By the late 60's it had been declassified/status downgraded, but still remained a D Notice for Media.

princethorpe

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member

Spooky seeing such a clean exchange. The clock in picture 10 is superb only ever seen one other made of bakerlite

shaft8

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member

hello there, im new here, but i have joined to try and help out with some anchor myths , if some of you know more than you say im sorry to bore you. if you have ever been inside then you know im for real................its stripped bear inside at great cost,, aspestose removed. all the comunications stuff gone, generators gone, kitchen gone, map room gone fuel tanks emptyed and filled with concreat, i seem to remember the water tank was removed or one of them, there were landscapes painted on the dineing room walls there gone.... all the old extraction system gone,.......the essex street entrance concreated over and built on a very large rectangular manhole covers a nearby emergency egress locked from inside........give up on thoughts of finding a way in ive been there and there are motion detectors everywhere .....its now fully automated and ran from elsewhere its just full of a mass of fiber optic cables........i like i think one of your members have stood next to the huge concreat slab that would have seal one of the main shafts it was on rollers and operated by cables..... this holds a small mystery for me because even standing there , under the lional street shaft i didnt work out till later where the controles were for this ......if you know then you were there......i will answer a few questions if i can but would never let on how, when or why i was in there and i will give know clues on entry, trust me you aint getting in.... slag me off if you like i have pictures and some souieners i may post some but not for a while.........pumps run 24 7......one of the new pictures shows a ladder that goes down through the floor, i didnt go down there but i looked , it was running with water and seemed to be drainage of a sort. at the bottom of the air intake (the short wide one, not the tall one ) there is, or was i large wall with several fans in, this would have provided the possitive air pressure after going through the filtration system.(the doors were blue on the filter room, metal with an obsevation window). there are many levels, some are made by halving a large tunnel. some are tunnels or rooms in there own rite, before the rip out there was a red room and blue room full of comunication stuff, one of the new pics is the generater room (staires at the back).............the map on the sub brit page is only a small part of the complex, i heard the other week that there were 5 shafts, from an interview with a irish builder i think.......ive seen a map with shaft 12 on so the myth continues....most of the shafts i know of go into buildings and thats where i will leave that..... the fuel tanks for the genorater were filled up from out side the building opp the tower the one with the crane in.....the limit on the crane is 5 tones and every thing that went in went down with that crane the shaft here is around 100 ft deep give or take at the bottom is a large blue blast door rectangular in shape. there are stairs there with small ridged blast doors on the way down. on the subject of blast doors there were many includeing some large round ones that were domed in shape, they were light green in colour................the tall shaft that is on lional street is just that. when you look up from inside it is just a hollow brick tower there is a thick wire mesh over the metal grates at the top,, its part of the place with the crane the whole complex is vast and covers much more of the city centers underground than i had any idea off untill i gazed upon the maps, if i remember it was dug from digbeth among other places does any one remember the road that went nowwhere that was between the road from digbeth to the bull ring. it just stopped at a wall im sure machinery was taken in that way........more as i remember...oh yeah... the floor was wet down there sometimes, the floors had a sump in the middle but there was now sign of any flooding above an inch or so.....there were phones on the walls every 100 ft or so in some of the tunnels but they were dissconected years ago there was a lift at the bottom of one of the shafts i tryed to open the door but it was long bolted or welded shut (same colour blue as the filter room doors) must have had a lot of blue paint going free.........

Last edited:

Adders

living in a cold world
Regular User

I'm sure it's about as impossible as Mail Rail, any underground metro system, most of the recently closed power stations, Kingsway exchange etc etc etc.

If anything, you BT sorts are just encouraging people more with your tales of it being impossible.

Landy101fc

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member

Could a permission visit be arranged mr.BT man?
If press can take pictures under supervision why can't a select few of us do the same?

Ordnance

Stay Safe
Staff member

Removing all the old obsolete equipment seems to be a profitable sideline for BT as the cost of copper & other metals make it worth while. but filling a fuel tank with concrete seems a little bit of overkill to me!
Use of the tunnels a cable runs seems to be the norm these days.

Landy101fc

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member

they might have filled the tanks up with rubble and then concrete coating. in my last job i made asbestos disappear that way.

shaft8

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member

hello there... i didnt say it was impossible, and im not a bt sort after what happened in manchester and the war on terror ect this place was buttoned up tight as a drum and in my opinion a waste of time, but if you could get in there then getting out of whatever jail they put you in would be a piece of piss.... im just a guy that went there and im trying to dispell a few myths, i never worked there i dont know it all but ive seen it and i know a bit...............
i wasnt there to over see there work , every thing even thought to have asbestos in raw plugs ect and most other electrical junk was bagged and removed they sealed of room bye room and deconed... every thing came up with the crane

dont know if this helps

shaft8

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member

i talked to a worker as he came up for a fag he let me look down this emergency egress not go down just look down he told me about the fuel tank and where it was filled from.....this was unrelated to my visit and just a question i had wondered they just clam up if you ask em to much....dont know why......he also said he was sick of the long long walk underground to where he was working.....the rubbish, not the scrap was taken away bye a few local skip companies, chairs old wooden cable drums(shit loads of em) and assorted junk, 40 plus years of it.....hope this helps

Wevsky

A Predisposed Tourist
Regular User

i actually bothered to read all that this time,and for someone with a lot of information your just not sounding genuine!

Derelict-UK

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member

Out of interest Shaft8, when did you visit?

captainwow

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member

Sorry to OT slightly, but what happened to the original Anchor thread? I'm guessing it was removed for security reason etc.

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin

The original Anchor thread was removed as it was a 50 page clusterfuck of re-gurgitated fantasy and fiction

captainwow

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member

That's fair, can't really argue with that. Some of it was interesting though, garbage or not.

Who has read this thread (Total: 256) View details