real time web analytics
28DL and UE in the News - Excellent piece & New pictures on BT Anchor Exchange in Birmingham by The B'ham Post | 28DL and Urban Exploring in the News... | Page 4 | 28DaysLater.co.uk

28DL and UE in the News Excellent piece & New pictures on BT Anchor Exchange in Birmingham by The B'ham Post

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Derelict-UK

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Re: Excellent piece & New pictures on BT Anchor Exchange in Birmingham by The B'ham P

So I noticed BT working near one of the ventilation posts on a path near the city centre so came back for a closer look. Too many vehicles for a simple job. Got my camera phone ready and took some pictures as I was shouted at for them to try and stop me, If I was really arsed, I could have hopped the cordon and gone straight in, not sure what the law on trespass is if the door (hatch) is left wide open and on public property?

Pic down the little access hatch...

14813241199_9bbbb1a298_b.jpg

Notice the high vis guy starting to run lol...

14813241389_47d870c852_o.jpg

Quick, shut it before he gets any more pics!!

14999569532_7ca73aac98_b.jpg

Last one of the vehicles...

14813411587_5da0ff895c_b.jpg

The small ventilation blocks can be found dotted around the outer edges of the city centre.

Wevsky

A Predisposed Tourist
Regular User
Re: Excellent piece & New pictures on BT Anchor Exchange in Birmingham by The B'ham P

nicely done sir !

Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin

Sneaky fuckers... didn't even know of that hatch.

Derelict-UK

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member

I have always seen it, but never knew what was underneath, it could have just been a small access point to wires for all I knew. I thought the ventilation block would have gone deeper than a few feet! There is another hatch not too far away on the pavement behind Telephone House and is in line with this one. Although this one has manhole key access, the other is an emergency escape and cannot be opened from the outside.

Adders

living in a cold world
Regular User

I think this is the tunnel that has a similar lid in the Alpha tower courtyard, and joined up with the Central TV basement before they blocked it up. I don't think it's Anchor, just a low level BT network. Although more than happy to be corrected.

Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin

We should have abused that basement a lot more.

slayaaaa

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member

Haha! Loving thosee pics of the high vis guy!

princethorpe

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member

Project Fox is BT recovering old obselete equipment and offloading cables so they can sell it for scrap. Out pikeying the Pikeys

slayaaaa

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member

Project Fox is BT recovering old obselete equipment and offloading cables so they can sell it for scrap. Out pikeying the Pikeys

They've finally come to there senses... Most exchanges are 90% disused apparently, i've been round one and there are rooms and rooms of disused cable and lines etc. Friend who worked for them was annoyed they weren't using it, plus on our road. The lines we have are still paper wrapped/insulated from when it was originally put in! This must of been at least 50 years. They're useless, unreliable and the brake without much effort at all. At least they're finally getting it together so they can get some money to maybe fix our dodgy lines. :mad: Or they wont.. and spend it on themselves..

Copious

28DL Member
28DL Member

Ive always been mooching around Anchor it caught my interest after hearing about it from my uncle and remembering one day when working in town so did a bit of googling and found quite a few of the access shafts so i picked one with my mate (this is years ago so i cant see any repercussions coming so quite happy to post) from what i can tell a lot of you are looking around lionel st i dont know if any of you looked down fleet st that runs parallel but there is a vent shaft there i was going to post a picture but i seen in the FAQ not to post access locations images so ill leave it out if its within the guidelines and im mistaken as its so hardcore lol i'll pop it up if someone lets me know, anyhow so we found the compound where the vent is all razor wired up etc cctv galore no access signs really over the top BUT they have a wall on the adjacent building about 7 ft high you can basically just hop over into the yard (car park full of bt vans and workers in and out) at the rear is the shaft you go up the ladders and are faced with a large big ass security door with CHUBB locks after examining it a bit too cure my curiosity i turned around to find hiding in the bush right in my face a little dome security camera the type you see on the side of buildings secure as F*ck so as it was completely blatant and in the afternoon on a week day round the corner from a police station we made a hasty exit back over the wall (we drove past 5mins ish later undercover car sitting outside police on foot walking around just up the road looked like they were looking for someone :D)i did look behind the vent shaft into a fenced off section that seems only to be accessible from lionel st there looked like some hatch but it was literally completely fenced off ? secondary entrance/exit i presume. essex st i think it was or inge st (minge st) there is another access shaft fenced off, having frequented many buildings and offices around town in one of my previous roles and i cant say i have seen anything to suggest access that far down (including venturing into a couple of basements but these are commercial fairly modern buildings i could guess which ones do) in all honesty with the sheer size of anchor i cant see every point being secure i have discovered a few suspect hatches around the jewelry quarter but haven't tried to access any as that i would imagine would be secure in all honesty i think there is probably many many more access points to anchor than any of us would ever believe but finding a section less secure/no longer in use will be the most challenging part i have been looking into anchor for at least 7 years on and off and can competently say that the gentlemen who has worked there is saying is true the level of security on the vent shaft was OTT but essex/minge st not so much (if its still there) but still super sketchy and i am in no doubt that what he is saying about motion detectors is true terrorist related or theft related they would be a necessity. to the chap saying he has been down there 'unofficially but to cool to share his pictures' i doubt you have even sniffed out an access shaft as i have seen first hand the external OTT security. i do however believe access will be found to a disused section in the future its ridiculously big and cant see them maintaining the entire structure more than likely the outer parts of the tunnel in areas were there not used for cabling or a security threat and are just on maintenance may possibly be less secure if i find out anymore info i'll pop it up. If any one is nuts enough to try any of the locations i have discussed so far i'm happy to show you sometime, anyway for what its worth thats my ten pence and my experience with the mysterious anchor.

Cairn terrier

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member

WP_20140722_001_zpsa473ed56.jpg

There you go mate

Looks like you copied the URL for the picture and added img tags

You need the actual IMG code from the right hand side of the photo
Fantastic picture, 7 years ago there was a study to see if Anchor could be used for an underground tube system unfortunately, it is underwater hence their (bt) reluctance for people to see it. It's an avowed site so no security issues

nokiaman

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Fantastic picture, 7 years ago there was a study to see if Anchor could be used for an underground tube system unfortunately, it is underwater hence their (bt) reluctance for people to see it. It's an avowed site so no security issues

Not true, sorry. The cover story in the 50's for its original build was based on a subway/underground system. And it isn't underwater, but since the brewery's shut the water table has risen and water ingress is a problem, and while it is publicly known about the site is secure (very)

Cairn terrier

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Not true, sorry. The cover story in the 50's for its original build was based on a subway/underground system. And it isn't underwater, but since the brewery's shut the water table has risen and water ingress is a problem, and while it is publicly known about the site is secure (very)
Thanks for the update, on the subterranean Britannia there are pictures of the main areas of the tunnel I.e lift shaft underwater. My wife worked with academics at the university of Birmingham back in 2008 who looked at the study to use as an underground transport system, £2 million later the study concluded the water rising due to various factories closing caused the tunnels to be flooded and unstable,BT were and are trying to sell the tunnels to any interested parties, they do rent one area to back up server silos. i know this as my current role is with a certain government department, I have DV clearance. Thanks for your note

Who has read this thread (Total: 255) View details