real time web analytics
28DL and UE in the News - Explorer finds remains of the Soviet Space Shuttle Program- Baikonur Cosmodrome in Kazakhstan | 28DL and Urban Exploring in the News... | 28DaysLater.co.uk

28DL and UE in the News Explorer finds remains of the Soviet Space Shuttle Program- Baikonur Cosmodrome in Kazakhstan

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

purplesmudger

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Direct Link: http://ralphmirebs.livejournal.com/219949.html

0_cbbde_a04689ea_orig.jpg

Quite a find for this guy! http://www.boredpanda.com/abandoned...-baikonur-cosmodrome-kazakhstan-ralph-mirebs/

Quoted from article:

Ralph Mirebs, an urban explorer and photographer in Russia, has revealed extraordinary photos of Soviet space shuttle prototypes gathering dust in an abandoned hangar in Kazakhstan.

The abandoned hangar is located at the Baikonur Cosmodrome in Kazakhstan, which is still in operation today (with the close of NASA’s shuttle program, Russian Soyuz shuttles are the only way for astronauts to reach the International Space Station). The Buran prototype shuttles found by Mirebs, however, are from an earlier era – they are the last remnants of a space program that began in 1974 and was finally shuttered in 1993. The only operational Buran shuttle, Orbiter 1K1, completed one unmanned orbital flight before it was grounded. Unfortunately, this shuttle was destroyed in a hangar collapse in 2002.

Last edited by a moderator:

m9

big in japan
Regular User
Kicked up a bit of a fuss this didn't it?! I thought that hanger had collapsed in like 2002 or something, obviously there was more than 1! These photos are about 4 years old though aren't they?

Lots of people have exclaimed how they're going to ''jump on the next plane' to kaz.. Let me know how you get on with the spetsnaz. I'm sure they'll be delighted to see you.

golKPuU.jpg

Carter

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
For the love of god, that is unbelievable! The photos on his blog are breathtaking!

skgogosfan

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I wonder if they could ever be made to fly,given the money. What's equally as impressive is the size of that hangar they had to build so that it could stand up inside it.

Dave.

trailboss99

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
OMFG! Permission visit or not who gives a rats if you get to see that! And he got inside the damn thing! Just the hanger alone would have been amazing without it's occupants. Oh how I would love to let my Phantom loose in there.

Alan-one

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I wonder if they could ever be made to fly,given the money.
Dave.
Unlikely, unfortunately.

From what I can gather, one of them is Orbiter OK-1K2 (AKA "Ptichka") and was never completed. It's anyone's guess how much it's been gutted and had the rot set in since it was abandoned in '93.

The other is probably a non-flying mock-up used for testing and drills.

I've have sold internal organs (not mine, obviously) to see this in person. Even knowing what's in there, it must have been incredible when he walked in.

skgogosfan

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I thought it very unlikely too. Then again,I wouldn't put it past Putin to have them restored to fly again just so he can crow about getting one over the U.S. in having a working shuttle ; yours to hire for a very large fee in foreign currency of course.

Dave.

ginsters

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I wonder how he got into this place. I had a look on google maps and its deep deep inside the Baikonur Cosmodrome, I have no idea how he managed to pull this off. He's posted photos from other hangars too of Energia rockets. Either he knows someone who let him in or this guy has more stealth than James Bond

stranton

subterranean explorer
Regular User
I would stay well away,
you wouldnt want to mess with the Kremlin or Vladimir Putin. :eek:

Who has read this thread (Total: 140) View details