real time web analytics
Report - - Farleigh Down Tunnel - March 14 | Military Sites | Page 2 | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Farleigh Down Tunnel - March 14

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Bertie Bollockbrains

There is no pain
Regular User
Well since this report has been bumped to the top, might as well spread the news that this site is now secured with palisade fencing and more. The area resembles a construction site and is possibly to become a storage compound for equipment in the ongoing electrification of the GWR line.

Nobody is going down here for a long time.

Tomw1989

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Never stays sealed for long does this one.......

It's not sealed I don't think. When we tried to go there on Sunday, we found palisade fencing right round the site, as far down as the start of the road leading up to it. A portakabin at the entrance with security and heavy heavy plant moving in and out.

There are photos of it floating around on one of the Facebook groups but I can't remember which page it is...

Ordnance

Stay Safe
Staff member
Monkton Farleigh Mine is the largest of the three Central Ammunition Depots and consists of 80 acres of tunnels and storage districts. Built during WW2, it was decommissioned in 1965 and sold off in 1976.

Belated amendment to history;

The Four 'Ammunition Sub Depots' in the Corsham area were collectively known as 'Central Ammunition Depot Corsham'

The Army controlled CAD Corsham consisted of ASD Tunnel Quarry, ASD Eastlays Quarry, and nearby ASD Ridge Quarry and ASD Monkton Farleigh Quarry.

Nearby Basil Hill Barracks was the Military Accommodation (15 Coy RAOC) & Administrative HQ for the Depot.

Conversion of the Quarry's in the Corsham Area as Ammunition Sites started as early as 1937.

It was one of several dispersed Ammunition Depots in England

The main WW2 CAD's being;

• CAD Bramley in Hampshire (now an enclosed training area, C Sqn, 21 SAS (Reserves) also use part of the camp)
  • CAD Corsham in Wiltshire (disposed of by MoD other than Basil Hill now part of MoD Corsham)
  • CAD Kineton in Warwickshire (active - rebuilt in the 1980's as ASD Marlbough & ASD Edge Hill)
  • CAD Longtown & ASD Eastrigs in Cumbria (active but closing down)
  • CAD Nesscliffe in Shropshire (depot(s) disposed of by MoD but camps still in use for Reserves & Cadet training)

Last edited: