real time web analytics
Father and Son Explorers from South East Essex saying hello | New Members Introduction | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Father and Son Explorers from South East Essex saying hello

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

ExplorinWithAustin&Thomas

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Hello fellow explorers! 👋

We are Father and Son duo who like to go out exploring interesting places, of which there are many :)

Some background on us :- Initially we started going out in 2016 in the immediate area of Westcliff-on-sea when my Son Thomas who was 6 at the time spotted a Pill Box in field on the way to the pub, he asked me what it was and for the rest of the meal it was "I want to see the Pill Box!" so we went out and had a look inside.. I remember as a kid being driven up the A12 by my parents and also saying I wanted to look at the Pill boxes but there was no time and my curiosity lay dormant until my Son showed an interest, so from then it was the point of no return for us!

We are very fortunate that in our area of Essex the GHQ line runs right along from Rochford all the way up the A12, so our hobby initially became going to see various Pill boxes within walking distance near Southend Airport and beyond, it's also at this point that YouTube alerted us to other well known explorers in the same area who had documented a lot of local Pillboxes :)

2017 came along and we started Geocaching locally, initially you follow some co-ordinates looking for clues and then locate a canister containing a log book to sign and sometimes some small toys to swap but it's amazing the places where that hobby takes you to, a highlight for us being a Geocaching route in Wickford that takes you to the site of a location of where two World War One pilots collided in mid-air and crashed into a field with the Memorials still there to commemorate them complete with a wooded propeller.

We continued this hobby until the end 2019 when the hobby naturally started becoming looking for WW1/WW2 locations local to us then Covid Hit and we spent a lot of time looking on YouTube, joining a few local Facebook Groups and we reached out to by a couple of our Favourite local YouTubers who agreed to meet up with us and do an explore together, this was amazing meeting people you have been watching for a few years and Thomas was over the moon to be able to meet them. We took them locally to show them the memorials and an ROC post which were were pretty sure they hadn't seen and have stayed in contact ever since.

We like to do a lot of our research when it comes to places and have been fortunate enough to be able to explore a lot of local stuff, also around Norfolk, Suffolk, Kent and Greater Essex, Various WW1/WW2 air fields / Air Raid Shelters and Anti aircraft Battery's, POW camps, Bomb Stores, Car Graveyards and now slowly getting into industrial places as well.

We have been very fortunate to have been out exploring with @Wastelandr and @DE-eVOLVED who are very local and have a lot of experience and interest in the same stuff.

Thomas is now 14 and in charge of the Go-Pro if we go out making our videos, he has maintained a key interest in history and of interesting structures, past and present.

We hope to add some of our previous explores into reports over the next few months once we learn the ropes a bit.

Cheers! :)

Austin

Wastelandr

Goes where the Buddleia grows
Regular User
Good to see you both on here finally after much lurking! You've certainly gotten about a lot over the last few years and I'm glad to see the interest has stuck for some time now, I look forward to seeing what reports you come up with :)

ExplorinWithAustin&Thomas

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Good to see you both on here finally after much lurking! You've certainly gotten about a lot over the last few years and I'm glad to see the interest has stuck for some time now, I look forward to seeing what reports you come up with :)
Hi Wastelandr!

Yes I reckon I'm going to try and put up some stuff that maybe hasn't been covered much before, hopefully a bit refreshing for the forum :)

DE-eVOLVED

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Welcome Austin & Thomas, sorry for the late reply - I've only just seen this post. Thanks for the mention 👍👍 I've enjoyed the explores we've done together so far and look forward to collaborating on more in the future. You've been to some impressive places so far, I look forward to reading your reports on here and seeing the still photographs that you both capture. We hope you enjoy 28 - DE-eVOLVED