Web
Analytics
Report - - Fenwick Pit / East Holywell Colliery, Northumberland - August 2009 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Fenwick Pit / East Holywell Colliery, Northumberland - August 2009



parkus.

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
#1

Originally named East Holywell Colliery, the pit opened in 1872 utilising one shaft (later renamed the 'Old Shaft') sunk to a depth of 569ft to the Low Main seam, until 2 years later when the Fenwick Pit shaft was sunk 10 yards to the south.

The 'Old Shaft' closed in 1930 during disputes, allowing the Fenwick Pit to be used as both an up and downcast shaft.

The colliery eventually closed in 1973 after exhausting the Main Coal, Top Busty,
Bensham, Beaumont and Yard seams.


Winding House.

DSCF2143.jpg


DSCF2148.jpg


DSCF2150.jpg


DSCF2154.jpg


DSCF2156.jpg



Engine House(?)

DSCF2137.jpg



Misc Building.

DSCF2138.jpg


DSCF2141.jpg


DSCF2142.jpg



'Old Shaft' Cap.

DSCF2152.jpg



Decorators have evidently been in..

DSCF2145.jpg



Cheers :thumb