real time web analytics
Report - - Fliegerschule - Flight School - Brandenburg (July 2022) | European and International Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Fliegerschule - Flight School - Brandenburg (July 2022)

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

jones-y-gog

Putting the fun in dysfunctional
Regular User
Following on from my compilation of a tour which took in some sites in the former East Germany, here is a place that I think deserves a separate report of its own.

There is plenty of history to be found about this important military site, dating back to the 1870's. It was an important site during WW1 and then re-militarized by the Nazis. The purpose of the Fliegerschüle was to both train pilots and act as a research facility for the Luftwaffe. The technical school contained its own wind tunnel, as well as a large workshop and a laboratory. The development and experimentation of new aviation parts used by the Luftwaffe during the Second World War was done here. Following WW2 the barracks that had once housed Bismarck’s Prussian troops, now became home to soldiers of the Red Army. A red star was painted above the Fliegerscüle entrance, and large Soviet realism artworks were painted on the internal walls of the buildings. The Fliegerschüle came to house units from both the Soviet’s air force and army. In order to differentiate between the two, the buildings to the right of the parade ground were painted a bright yellow and housed the air force, while the buildings to the left were painted a charcoal grey and housed the army. The airfield continued to operate as before, only now it was resident to Russian MIGs rather than Luftwaffe Junkers. That was the case until 1994, when the Red Army troops vacated Altes Lager and returned home. The Fliegerschüle now stands abandoned and derelict. Along with the other military sites at Wündorf and Jüterbog, this part of Brandenburg has since taken on an eerie feeling of forgottenness. The site that was so important for the original unification of Germany, has become a victim of its eventual reunification.

Some of the above has been shamelessly copied from the following
This explore was a highlight of the 2022 trip to Germany and the most challenging by a long way. Some other locations involved nothing more than walking in through an open door. The word was that the outfit that had taken over security were very proud of how good they were, so progress around the site was slow and with extreme care. A lot of patience and stealth and a bit of a climb was eventually rewarded.

IMG_0223_4_5_Fusion-Natural copy.jpg

IMG_0238_39_40_Fusion-Natural.jpg

IMG_0310_1_2_Fusion-Natural.jpg

IMG_0328_29_30_Fusion-Natural.jpg

IMG_0343_5_Enhancer.jpg

IMG_0304_5_6_7_Fusion-Natural copy2.jpg

IMG_0247_8_9_pop.jpg

IMG_0220_1_2_Fusion-Natural.jpg

IMG_0283_4_5_Fusion-Natural.jpg

IMG_0298_300_Enhancer.jpg

Some of the Soviet murals remain - there were many more back in the day but these have been lost to time and the elements.

IMG_0250_Enhancer.jpg

IMG_0265_6_7_Fusion-Natural.jpg

Translated as - Autumn. Mobilisation 1990.jpg

A brief parting note, I'm reliably informed it translates as 'Autumn. Mobilisation 1990'

20220711_151209 copy_Enhancer.jpg

Wastelandr

Goes where the Buddleia grows
Regular User
Great place isn't it! I went only a few months back and found it ironically the easiest explore of the trip, straight in and out compared to the other bases which involved checking millions of buildings to find good stuff. I think secca are super chill out there but given that it's another country I was also quite cautious. The Soviet stuff in Germany really does make for a surreal sight.

jones-y-gog

Putting the fun in dysfunctional
Regular User
Thanks @Bugsuperstar @Exploring with Andy @TheTimeChamber
Great place isn't it! I went only a few months back and found it ironically the easiest explore of the trip, straight in and out compared to the other bases which involved checking millions of buildings to find good stuff. I think secca are super chill out there but given that it's another country I was also quite cautious. The Soviet stuff in Germany really does make for a surreal sight.
@Wastelandr Yes I'm super fascinated with the former Soviet places and the other stuff in this area like all the ballrooms. We did 4 days but there's so much it felt like you need 4 months!

Wastelandr

Goes where the Buddleia grows
Regular User
Thanks @Bugsuperstar @Exploring with Andy @TheTimeChamber

@Wastelandr Yes I'm super fascinated with the former Soviet places and the other stuff in this area like all the ballrooms. We did 4 days but there's so much it felt like you need 4 months!
Yeah for sure, it's really interesting seeing the remains not just of a different time period but pretty much a fallen empire. I'd be interested in hearing about/seeing reports of the other stuff you visited. Forst Zinna gave me and my mates PTSD - post-traumatic search disorder :rofl. I spent a week in Brandenburg and did a few power stations but the military bases are quite tiring so we still only got round a couple. The ballrooms look great, haven't really looking into those. Also a load of sanatoriums out there. Think I'll be back eventually :D.