real time web analytics
Report - - Foel-Gron Quarry, Merionesthshire, Sep 2019 | Mines and Quarries | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Foel-Gron Quarry, Merionesthshire, Sep 2019

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

tigger

mog
Regular User
Initially an open slate quarry in the 1850s it was later worked underground. Most of the slate extraction remains have been lost by un-topping to produce granite.
The mill and dressing sheds were remote from the quarry itself as there was insufficient water to drive the breastshot wheel. The mill and the dressing sheds were completely removed during later landscaping work.
A nicely constructed tramway curves up to the workings and along this is the foundation of a building as well as an obvious wheelpit. The purpose of this building is not known.

On reaching the quarry there is a flooded adit which runs a short distance before splitting. Both tunnels run to collapses which are the result of the later untopping.

Higher still and there is a pit with two obvious openings. One is a severed haulage adit and the other a chamber that is now open to bank. The most significant feature of this large chamber is the amount of ceiling that now resides on the floor. It also contains two other breaks into the haulage adit. The haulage adit has a small flooded chamber with the remains of a hoist.

Impressive shot holes from the untopping

Continuing a walk up the hillside two windowed entries (just visible to the top right in the earlier photo) are visible where chambering has been exposed. There is nothing significant to see in those.

tigger

mog
Regular User
'crane thing'? I guess that means you haven't ;-)
Can't remember when I last saw the conveyor.

tigger

mog
Regular User
LOL. I have quite a few photos like that though the best would be from a Penmaenmawr trip and every Creosor trip when visibility was around ten feet.