real time web analytics
Report - - Fort Tourgis, Alderney - Sept 2012 | Military Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Fort Tourgis, Alderney - Sept 2012

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

costalspook

28DL Member
28DL Member
My first go at a report….

Photos taken with a Canon sx210 thing, I’m not a photographer. I just a point a shoot.

I had the luxury of staying on the island for a week at Fort Clonque with a friend. We spent all of the seven days exploring the fortification and bunkers. It was like a wet dream for me …….

Every day was like a Sunday on the island; no one bothers you or has any problems with you exploring the abandoned fortifications and buildings.
There’s loads of history here dating back to the Roman times. There are many Victorian Forts and batteries on the island which were constructed to defend Britain from a French invasion.

During WW2 -1940 the Channel Islands were captured and occupied by the Nazis. This formed part of Hitler’s Atlantic Wall. The Germans poured concrete into this place like custard strengthening the old Fortification and building many new ones. The island is littered with bunkers, AA batteries, infantry nests, forts, tunnels and even a Nazi concentration camp Larger Sylt. This was one of four camps on the island. Larger Sylt is one of Britain’s well hushed secrets; Yes there was a concentration camp on British soil!

Fort Tourgis is an extensive fortification on the island. The history of its past is vague. The fort was built by the British government in 1855. The Germans added and strengthened the fort during WW2. After the war it was used by the military up until the 1960’s and then latter became a civilian boarding school. Apparently there has been talk of it becoming a hotel but to date nothing has happened regarding this. The fort remains the property of the States of Alderney.

All of the fortifications here are open and you can freely walk in to them. The buildings are very derelict and dangerous. There are many hazards, collapsing floors and roofs, small areas of fire damage, falling buildings, uncovered manholes and drops in to tunnels and passageways. Me and my mate were here for around six to seven hours.

I have more photos of the fort, the interior and the German additions if any one is interested.

8619300192_0af2520cd9.jpg

8619314874_ddaf988d6f_z.jpg

8618206043_715464ac8e_z.jpg

8618204741_9339fb1863_z.jpg

8618202761_a35cf88b3d_z.jpg

8619300636_1f0b5825bb_z.jpg

8618200815_a0c633dbae_z.jpg

8618198829_648d5fa9a3.jpg

8618196963_d862f87462_z.jpg

8618194425_a111f811d9_z.jpg

Last edited:

psychobunny

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
We had the pleasure of visiting Alderney in Oct 2017, and of all the numerous WW2 bunkers and various forts we explored, Tourgis was definitely our favourite. We went during the day, and it was spooky even then, despite being so close the road and houses in the area. Such a shame we couldn't explore upper levels as the floors were just too dangerous. Having said that, they held the lofty water towers still (you could almost picture the roof giving way as you stepped underneath them haha).

Every time we explored a German bunker, I felt like we were in a sequel to Outpost :eek: We were even lucky enough to see a brown bat at the Odeon installation, which the Alderney Wildlife Trust got very excited about as they are now trying to map bats on the island, as they have done with other wildlife for which many bunkers have been turned in to hides.

Tourgis struck me a very melancholy for the most part because of what items remain there. We saw a beautiful but dilapidated cooking range, a lovely Victorian fire place and various fridges, car body parts, all remnants from the last people to occupy the fort several decades ago (I believe, from the locals, it was some sort of commune type set up with mostly Italian inhabitants).

The whole island is covered with amazing structures just begging to be explored.