real time web analytics
Foss Cross Railway Station - July 2020 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Foss Cross Railway Station - July 2020

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Ozikkk

28DL Member
28DL Member
With the help of my friend, we managed to find the forgotten Foss Cross railway station. An 80-mile journey definitely wasn't a waste of time.

History:
Foss Cross station was on the Midland and South Western Junction Railway in Gloucestershire. The station opened on 1 August 1891 with the section of the line between Cirencester Watermoor and the junction at Andoversford with the Great Western Railway's Cheltenham Lansdown to Banbury line, which had opened in 1881. Foss Cross was an isolated station, and the nearest village was Chedworth, over a mile away, and that petitioned successfully for its own station, which opened just a year later. Other villages such as Bibury were up to four miles away. The result was that the station was very lightly used for passenger traffic and towards the end of its life only one passenger a day used it regularly.
Foss Cross station closed to both passengers and goods when the line closed to all traffic in 1961.

Finding what remains of the station was quite simple, satellite view won't help to find the station itself as it's all overgrown. However, if you're near the location itself, follow the wood or the footpath that leads to a farm. I don't recommend going on a rainy day though, we got soaked....

What we found:

This was the first building we came across. At the first look, it didn't look like much but a look inside made it clearer what the building itself was used for.

The building itself could've been used as a ticketing booth? At least that's what we thought at the time.

What can be found of the remaining platform. No tracks are left, I'm guessing they were stripped after the railway station was closed.

Another building we found. At first, we had no clue what it was.

Inside it looked like it could've been the bathroom as there were urinals on one side of the building.

Wasn't quite sure what this is.

westernsultan

Banned
Banned
Visit http://www.swindonsotherrailway.co.uk/rmc.html and scroll down you will see B/W picture of the station building you photographed with Gents entrance on RHS. There used to be a quarry to the north and perhaps the last picture is ones of stones from the quarry. Your first picture is not a ticketing office but some sort of store room - on their home page you will find a home movie including lifting the track

Last edited:

Ozikkk

28DL Member
28DL Member
Visit http://www.swindonsotherrailway.co.uk/rmc.html and scroll down you will see B/W picture of the station building you photographed with Gents entrance on RHS. There used to be a quarry to the north and perhaps the last picture is ones of stones from the quarry. Your first picture is not a ticketing office but some sort of store room - on their home page you will find a home movie including lifting the track
Oh that’s awesome. I’ll definitely have a look, thanks for that :)

Orangatanga

28DL Member
28DL Member
I lived in Chedworth when I was a kid, I remember exploring that station. Also the awesome Chedworth tunnel used to be accessible and I used to go down there all the time, sadly it's now very well sealed.

Who has read this thread (Total: 195) View details