real time web analytics
Report - - Freedom Fields - Plymouth Archives 1999 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Freedom Fields - Plymouth Archives 1999

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

P

phatmedia

Freedom Fields, where most of us Janners were born up until about 1993 or 1994 I think. I took these pics around 1998, quite soon after the final closure. We even made a horror film in one of the old theatres for an art college project. Ill try and dig out the stills from that.

Info below from http://plymouthdata.info

'Originally opened in 1858 as the Plymouth Workhouse, it was enlarged several times and eventually became the Greenbank Infirmary in 1909. Upon the workhouse system ceasing in 1930 it became the Plymouth City Hospital.

Being a rather distinctive building on the brow of a hill, it became an easy target for the air raids of the Second World War. Wards 6 and 7 were totally wrecked on the night of January 13th 1941, with the loss of 60 bed spaces. One 12-year-old girl was killed and five women were injured. Worse was to come during the night of March 20th, the beginning of the Plymouth Blitz. The brand new maternity block, built by Mr A N Coles and which had only been opened by Lord Astor, the Lord Mayor, on Saturday February 1st, received a direct hit, killing three nurses and fourteen babies. After that the expectant mothers were sent to Flete House.

Shortly after the inauguration of the National Health Service in 1951 it became known as Freedom Fields Hospital. It underwent tremendous enlargement, with the addition of a new casualty department, pharmacy, sterile supply department, radiography department and intensive care unit.

Closure commenced in January 1982 when the Renal Unit was transferred out to the new Derriford Hospital. This process went slowly, though, with Maternity Department now moving until 1994 and the last patients not leaving until February 1998. The site has now been redeveloped as affordable housing, the only remnant being the Freedom House that was added in 1909 to house the Board of Guardians.'

There is also the old ambulance & fires station building opposite which had an amazing amount of underground rooms , I will have to dig these negs out, scan and post soon!

2a83d0ef.jpg

ce6493eb.jpg

2f67ae39.jpg

09c4d98c.jpg

a6bcaa4f.jpg

d5ede7a1.jpg

a6e17c19.jpg

12b0ed2d.jpg

3ae710d8.jpg

8211d2dd.jpg

8b8f9f23.jpg

7099c77e.jpg

00dd569b.jpg

P

phatmedia

Here are a few pics I dug out recently from the old ambulance station across the road from the main hospital. I think part of this building is till there, these pics were taken around 7 or 8 years ago.

2e038790.jpg

d1064319.jpg

7f209769.jpg

07b45b8a.jpg

e28cbab2.jpg

ac835c2a.jpg

e469c6f1.jpg