real time web analytics
Report - - Friends Mission Hall, Shildon - May 2016 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Friends Mission Hall, Shildon - May 2016

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

WildBoyz

Is this the future?
28DL Full Member
History

Shildon Friends Mission Hall was constructed in 1897, following the evangelising Quaker movement which thrived in the late nineteenth and early twentieth century. The movement is more widely known as the Religious Society of Friends; they had halls across Europe, America, Africa and Asia. The hall was likely to have been erected to accommodate rising patterns of worship, and to tackle widespread illiteracy among adults in the local community. Quakers became renowned for their strict focus on developing behaviour, their private lives and reflecting emotional purity in the light of God. In the past Quakers were also well-known for their opposition to slavery, teetotalism, plain dress and refusal to participate in war. Instead, many Quakers went on to found banks, such as Barclays and Lloyds, and British confectionery makers Cadburys, Rowntree’s and Fry’s.

Our Version of Events

Following a successful explore over in Gateshead, we decided to head to Shildon, having heard that there was an abandoned community hall of some description there. At first, access looked impossible; everything was sealed tighter than a Yorkshire man’s wallet. However, with a bit of perseverance, we were able to overcome this slight problem.

Once inside, it was obvious that the building has been visited by the local idiots, as everything was everywhere it shouldn’t have been. Tables have been turned, chinaware smashed and cupboards ransacked. Despite this, there were still a few odd photogenic bits and bobs lying around. All in all the building is fairly small though, and it doesn’t take long to get through all of the rooms due to its size. Overall, we spent around twenty minutes inside, until we ran out of things to look at.

Explored with Ford Mayhem, Meek-Kune-Do and Box.

1:

aDSC_0707_zps5p3tafoo.jpg

2:

aDSC_0709_zpswrerj8gg.jpg

3:

aDSC_0653_zpsy4zkqfun.jpg

4:

aDSC_0655_zpsvrayvcif.jpg

5:

aDSC_0660_zpsb1rjx7ih.jpg

6:

aDSC_0662_zpslwlgh6tk.jpg

7:

aDSC_0665_zpsdovha2ln.jpg

8:

aDSC_0667_zpscxv0datq.jpg

9:

aDSC_0673_zps29fnpt0s.jpg

10:

aDSC_0676_zps9jysj2tm.jpg

11:

aDSC_1185_zpsy9kz9jlv.jpg

12:

aDSC_0677_zpswuoemwdl.jpg

13:

aDSC_0679_zpsddqqua6g.jpg

14:

aDSC_0680_zpsf0jcnysl.jpg

15:

aDSC_0688_zpsr6vlvzks.jpg

16:

aDSC_0697_zpst1cjkc07.jpg

17:

aDSC_0704_zpstbjhjhhq.jpg

HughieD

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Yes...the usual suspects have been in...including the fireplace faeries. Chipper set though and love the piano on the stage shots mate...

dave

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Good work i should get out more these places are on my doorstep well done for making the effort anyway usual top quality pics too.

WildBoyz

Is this the future?
28DL Full Member
Good work i should get out more these places are on my doorstep well done for making the effort anyway usual top quality pics too.

Cheers mate. We keep passing things and often dismiss them straight away, assuming they'll be completely stripped, but I'm glad we checked this one out.

WildBoyz

Is this the future?
28DL Full Member
Some nice features for sure, good work!

Lovely hardwood cupboards in the kitchen there

Thanks. I agree, all the wooden stuff looked pretty cool. Shame about the contents being all over the floor.