real time web analytics
Report - - George Hotel, Huddersfield-Aug 2020 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - George Hotel, Huddersfield-Aug 2020

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

king_al221

madest urbexer out their. aka mad al
28DL Full Member
George Hotel

The history

The coming of the railway stimulated the commercial development of the hitherto empty land to the north of the Market Place and by 1849 a number of new streets had been proposed or laid out and several new buildings planned. Among the first of these was the George Hotel which was opened in the new Square in 1851. Built to replace the old George Inn in the Market Place the hotel is an impressive building, designed by William Wallen in an Italinate style to complement the classical facade of the railway station. The quality of the stonework is obvious and, nearly a century and a half later, is a fitting reminder of the excellent standards of the builder, Joseph Kaye. It was at the George Hotel on 29th August 1895 that a meeting was held by the English Rugby Football Union to discuss payment to players for broken time and loss of wages at work. The meeting was a bitter one, no agreement was reached and consequently twenty clubs, of which Huddersfield was one, broke away from the English Union, with its strict emphasis on amateur status, to form the Northern Rugby Football Union, known later as the Rugby League. Now, in the centenary year, after many meetings and following a proposed injection into the game of some £87 million by Sky Television, changes just as contentious have been approved by a majority of Rugby League officials. The new structure will consist of a super league of twelve clubs, a first division of eleven clubs (including Huddersfield) and a second division often clubs. After a shortened 1995-1996 season the new three tier system will begin in March 1996 and will be run thenceforth as a summer competition. The George Hotel in Huddersfield, West Yorkshire, England, is a Grade II listed building famous as the birthplace of rugby league football in 1895. The 60 bed hotel was built in 1851 and closed in January 2013, with the receivers looking for a new buyer. The three-star rated George Hotel, which has an Italianate façade, was designed by William Walker. The Victorian era hotel was built around 1851.

The explore

Iv been aware of the George hotel for a while. A recent trip up to Huddersfield me and @little_boy_explores wanted to see how the development has been going after hearing in the news somebody had bought the hotel. We managed to get onto the roof after a bit of time and found an open window. Once in the building we were weary of our surroundings and had a good look around with caution. We spent some time in their with no trouble and got out unseen! over all good explore hope you enjoy the pix.

Pics

1605566486413.png

1605566764890.png

1605566998621.png

DkbbPcN.jpg

3kY5qES.jpg

PP8EwXq.jpg

thanks for looking mad Al​

Scoobysrt

Teim scoobs
28DL Full Member
I honestly went plenty of times when it first came up and i assure you no one was giving me any nods or promises to. I guess I was just unlucky. Seems an age ago now.

Last edited:

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Nice report. Well lite too. Great 1st report on here. Would of liked a few more snaps, but hey, thats me. You done a fine job :thumb

king_al221

28DL Full Member
Nice report. Well lite too. Great 1st report on here. Would of liked a few more snaps, but hey, thats me. You done a fine job :thumb
thanks very much man really appriciate it, i would have done more pics but i dont have a camera yet so i used my phone but was on low charge but it was amazing in their and very relaxed

king_al221

28DL Full Member
lol ive also tried a few times got past the hard bit to not be able to find the window.They made it evan harder now theres a new plastic fence all the way round it
It was pretty hard to even find a way onto the roof then it was really dangerous. And took a very long time we found an open window. But I assume its been blocked off now. But even though its hard it was amazing and very good architecture inside so it's soo worth it

Who has read this thread (Total: 255) View details