real time web analytics
Report - - GEORGIAN MILL, Holt, Norfolk | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - GEORGIAN MILL, Holt, Norfolk

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

ASOM

One-Man Urbex Art Army
28DL Full Member
Phew, well it's been a while since posting a new report on here, doesn't time fly, etc.

Because I'm so damn clever and maverick, I deliberately (ahem) left my tripod and torch at home so excuse the quality of the shots. I have just realised (first uploading since the format change) that they're tiny but oh well that'll hide the shit quality. Interesting little place though, hope you enjoy it anyway.

Explored with Rookinella, whose "ghost" appears in the last shot but worked so well I left it there. Can't wait to see the messages I'll get about that if I post it on Facebook without explanation...

The mill is built of local flint and brick under a Norfolk pantiled roof. Built in 1830, the original watercourse, along which the parish boundary runs, was moved southwards some 40 yards slightly up the hill in order to better accommodate the mill.

In about 1905 the wheel was removed and replaced by a turbine, this being a more efficient way of using the limited amount of available water. The wheel house was split into two sections lengthways by a new wall, each section with its own exit arch and then another wall was built across the section nearer to the mill to provide a sluice control for the turbine.

In 1911 a bakery was built within the complex, it was coke-fired and the boiler also heated the contents of a twenty gallon water tank above it that then used the heat of from hot water pipes to regulate the oven temperature. Coke was brought in from the gasworks by train and then horse and cart to the mill. In those days transport cost exceeded the material cost.

The oven had a capacity of 208 1lb loves and was fired up twice before deliveries went out to the surrounding area. Water for the bread making was carried by bucket from a spring on the opposite side of the road.

Baking ceased in 1953, as new hygiene regulations prevented the use of the spring water for bread making.

1)
Narf_0122.jpg

2)
Narf_0095.jpg

3)
Narf_0101.jpg

4)
Narf_0120.jpg

5)
Narf_0104.jpg

6)
Narf_0114.jpg

7)
Narf_0107.jpg

8)
Narf_0096.jpg

9)
Narf_0072.jpg

10)

Narf_0062.jpg

12)
Narf_0080.jpg

13)
Narf_0087.jpg

norfolkexplorer

Quite often seen exploring further than Norfolk
28DL Full Member
Nice 1, heard a few folk mention this place, but keep forgetting to check it out.. Well done

jST

LLS.
Regular User
Very nice, might have to have a look at this as I'm down in the flatlands next week.

dave

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Very nice that bit of a time warp in there enjoyed looking through those.