real time web analytics
Report - - Gillingham - Chatham Dock Disused Railway Line (August 2017) | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Gillingham - Chatham Dock Disused Railway Line (August 2017)

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Jorwal

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I was in Gillingham, just absolutely devoured 2 supersize whopper meals in Burger King and needed to walk it off before I chundered everywhere, so I walked up to HMS Wildfire to see if any 'progress' had been made (but as expected nothing new except the gate to the ditch had been taken down), so I thought why not take a stroll up to the disused railway line as I've been wanting to take a look for years but never got round to it...

There is only one other report on this which was uploaded nearly 2 years ago, and you can see from comparing the 2 how nature is slowly taking the tracks back. As this isn't well documented I've made it quite picture heavy.

I couldn't find much on the history on this site (after all it's just a set of train tracks), but this railway line stretches from Gillingham to Chatham Docks (Asda), and used to connect to the current railway used by Southeastern. Below is a map issued by Medway Council:
map.png

So anyway, here's some pictures (just going to say sorry for the quality in advance, it had been absolutely pissing it down all day so the lighting wasn't all that great).

This is one of the ends of the track (Chatham Docks/Asda side)
IMG_1265.jpg

Standard railway sign
IMG_1266.jpg

Works walkway next to the track
IMG_1270.jpg

The rails have been removed here but their supporting clamps have been left there
IMG_1302.jpg

IMG_1295.jpg

Starting to rust :)
IMG_1271.jpg

3 rails, might give an idea as to how old/new it is
IMG_1273.jpg

Nice view of Kent Police station ;)
IMG_1274.jpg

Starting to get a bit overgrown from here
IMG_1276.jpg

Can barely even make out the tracks
IMG_1278.jpg

Cool little bridge, it shocked me how stable the metal struts are
IMG_1279.jpg

IMG_1280.jpg

Literally no play at all :)
IMG_1281.jpg

More overgrowing
IMG_1282.jpg

Spiky bastard of a tree growing in the middle of the tracks, I'd love to see what the roots do to the thick metal tracks in a decade or so
IMG_1284.jpg

Maybe a railway geek will know what this is used for, no idea
IMG_1285.jpg

It's weird how the overgrowth just stops, and it gives you an idea of how bad it's getting in some parts
IMG_1286.jpg

Leading to what has to be one of the best sights down here
IMG_1289.jpg

My potatocam doesn't do this any justice, but the trees have grown up so high and the area just opens up
IMG_1291.jpg

IMG_1293.jpg

View attachment 741364

So that's that, get there soon if you don't want to get spiked by all the bushes and harassed by bees and wasps :)

Johnnyquest

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
That’s actually a really beautiful walk, reminds me of one of those old American films like stand by me

obscurity

Flaxenation of the G!!!
Regular User
nice little wander to kill an hour this! shame the old station is in such a poor state though.

Franco72

28DL Member
28DL Member
I used to play on this railway as an 8 year old in about 1978, it was still active then. The bridge at burnt oak terrace i remember.

Who has read this thread (Total: 139) View details