real time web analytics
Report - - Gillingham gas holder No 3 - October 2015 | High Stuff | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Gillingham gas holder No 3 - October 2015

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Maniac

rebmeM LD82
Regular User
I've been waiting a long time to finally climb this. Not sure what took me so long, but I finally did it recently.

It's hard to find out much about this history of this one. All I know is this is gas holder number 3 (The spiral one that remains is gas holder No 4) and it was constructed sometime in the 1930's by the Rochester, Chatham and Gillingham Gas Company, which were known previously as The Rochester and Chatham Gas Light Company, formed in 1818.

I know it was in use up until the late 2000's as I used to drive past it every day and saw it at is various different heights as the gas volume inside changed. It is however now dormant, its function being replaced by the new high pressure gas storage facility that's been built next door.

This thing is a right royal pain to get to. There's 3 high palisade fences (Yes you heard me right, 3 fences) and an anticlimb grill on the staircase. They really don't want you to climb this thing, so climb it we did. :thumb :D

Explored with new explorer @marmiteonpizza

From the bottom
IMG_3326_zpsvjxfm3ta.jpg

Staircase
IMG_3371_zpso7jj4v2v.jpg

From the top
IMG_3341_zpsbox0almg.jpg

Modern high pressure gas storage
IMG_3357_zpswnqeumbm.jpg

You can see the remaining holder No 4 here
IMG_3350_zps98uobsd6.jpg

No gas holder climb is complete without a selfie
IMG_3344_zpspq3fglce.jpg

Close up
IMG_3383_zpsniligruk.jpg

Thanks for looking

Maniac

obscurity

Flaxenation of the G!!!
Regular User
good effort. Remember looking years ago and it is quite a pig to get to. 3rd shot is spot on :thumb

marmiteonpizza

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Didn't realise it was that old! When you said it closed in the noughties, I assumed it would have been built recently twenty years ago max!

Maniac

rebmeM LD82
Regular User
Didn't realise it was that old! When you said it closed in the noughties, I assumed it would have been built recently twenty years ago max!

Pretty much all this style of gas holder are from that era or even earlier. The 'spiral' kind, one of which sits next door to this one, are more modern. From the 1990's onwards they started phasing them out of use, as far as I'm aware there's none that are actually used for storing gas anymore on the UK gas network.