real time web analytics
Report - - Glenwood Power Station, Yonkers, New York - April 2012 - Pic Heavy | European and International Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Glenwood Power Station, Yonkers, New York - April 2012 - Pic Heavy

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

zombizza

Sore Knee
Regular User
Holiday with the family. Had to go out at some point. First international explore.
What a huge rust bucket this was. This is probably the most dangerous thing I have done. Rusting walkways about 200feet+ above concrete floor. One slip and game over. There were a few planks to cross. Scarey stuff and I cringe at the thought now - what if they were rotten or a booby trap.
Spectacular place, impossible to show in photos. The chimney was quite special....i drew the line at climbing up that ladder.

"Glenwood Power Station was constructed on the side of the Hudson River between 1904 and 1906 solely to satisfy the need for electrical rail power during New York Central and Hudson River Railroad's switch from steam. To design the plant, the city hired architectural firm Reed and Stem to design its railroad's power house. Reed and Stem would later collaborate with architects Warren and Wetmore to Design Grand Central Station, the terminus of the railroad their plant powered. In 1936, when the electrical utilities could finally sufficiently supply the railroads, the city sold the plant to power consortium Con-Edison, which operated it until 1963 when newer, more efficient plants emerged."

Yonkers001.jpg

Yonkers002.jpg

Yonkers003.jpg

Yonkers004.jpg

Yonkers005.jpg

Yonkers006.jpg

Yonkers007.jpg

Yonkers008.jpg

Yonkers009.jpg

Yonkers010.jpg

Yonkers011.jpg

Yonkers012.jpg

Yonkers013.jpg

Yonkers014.jpg

Yonkers015.jpg

Yonkers016.jpg

Yonkers017.jpg

Yonkers018.jpg

Yonkers019.jpg

Yonkers020.jpg

Yonkers021.jpg

Yonkers022.jpg

Yonkers023.jpg

zombizza

Sore Knee
Regular User
Few More holiday snaps-
NY is an exploring mecca. I stood outside 2 derelict asylums, here is the powerstation and some wards of one. Annoyingly I was too chicken to go in. I like company and was warey of how I might deal with the american fuzz or a flailing junkie-

pil1.jpg

pil2.jpg

pil3.jpg

And finally, just an interesting cemetary....
cem1.jpg

cem2.jpg

Who has read this thread (Total: 3) View details