real time web analytics
Goonhilly BT Earthstation, Lizard Peninsula in Cornwall? | General Exploring Chat Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Goonhilly BT Earthstation, Lizard Peninsula in Cornwall?

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

UrbanDuck

Authorised Trespasser
28DL Full Member
Hi all,

I'm heading to Cornwall for a holiday this month - has anyone ever had a snoop around the old BT earthstation at Goonhilly? To my knowledge the visitor centre has been closed since 2010. There are some amazing big dishes there to photograph and access to the visitor centre would be good.

I did a basic reccy there back in 2012 and the grounds at the entrance were being used for Sedgway!

Any info would be appreciated :thumb

Bugsuperstar

Irresponsible & Reckless
Regular User
My dad took me for a visit when I was about twelve, it was immense.

Would be a great mooch now I'm sure.

UrbanDuck

Authorised Trespasser
28DL Full Member
My dad took me for a visit when I was about twelve, it was immense.

Would be a great mooch now I'm sure.

Yes definitely. I went there also when I was young - it was overwhelming. I took at snap of the tired looking sign at the entrance in 2012. Sadly didn't have the opportunity to go any further that trip:

IMG_2389_zps079fd8b5.jpg

slayaaaa

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Thought I saw a report on this somewhere, definitely worth a look it's still there! Dishes sounds good! :D

slayaaaa

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I meant if it was still there :s just to avoid confusion, I couldn't type/spell to save my life...

Idle Hands

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I'd be interested to see how you get on with this - I'm down that way myself later this year :)

As far as I can see though it's still a live site and was sold to GES Ltd earlier this year on a 999 year lease. The visitor centre is apparently closed for refurbishment...

UrbanDuck

Authorised Trespasser
28DL Full Member
I'd be interested to see how you get on with this - I'm down that way myself later this year :)

As far as I can see though it's still a live site and was sold to GES Ltd earlier this year on a 999 year lease. The visitor centre is apparently closed for refurbishment...

It will be interesting to see if there is any evidence of them bringing it back to life.

Fishfairy

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I went passed it yesterday. I know its closed to visitors but im pretty sure its still a working (and pretty important) satellite base. If you're going there - Pradannack air base is very close and very interesting if you see posts on here/

UrbanDuck

Authorised Trespasser
28DL Full Member
I went passed it yesterday. I know its closed to visitors but im pretty sure its still a working (and pretty important) satellite base. If you're going there - Pradannack air base is very close and very interesting if you see posts on here/

Hi, thanks for the update. I guess I'll need to tread a little carefully if still an active site, not to mention getting fried by high RF beams! lol