real time web analytics
Report - - Gosforth Scout Camp, Newcastle - Nov 13 | Leisure Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Gosforth Scout Camp, Newcastle - Nov 13

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Mjangry

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Not much history knocking about for this old Scout Camp, but this is what I've cobbled together.

High Gosforth Park is a large 800 acre estate near Wideopen, which belongs to the H.G.P. Company, founded in 1881. The company leases land inside the park to the following organisations,the Golf Centre,Northumberland Golf Club, the Scout Camp, the Caravan Club ,the Squash Club, and the Exibition Centre. Woodland in the park is conserved by Northumberland Natural History Society.The majority of the land owned by H.G.P. Company is the Race Course.

The Racecourse had fallen into some decay over the years and was purchased in 1994 by Sir Stanley Clarke's Northern Racing. The Estate has seen an investment of over £11m in his tenure with new facilities for Racegoers, new stands, parade ring and a straight mile flat track.

But I guess most importantly campers...

Gosforth Park scout camp was built on the grounds of High Gosforth Park Estate and was opened by Lord Baden-Powell in 1932. International scouting events have been held at Gosforth Park with the estate's racecourse being used as a venue for large gatherings.

Closed its doors early 2000's if memory serves.

Nice walk in the woods brought back memorys.

gp1.jpg

Entrance

gp2.jpg

Climbing wall

gp3.jpg

Skips - also available in bacon flavour

gp4.jpg

Brick pron

gp5.jpg

Up

gp6.jpg

Bit of a stretch to a well shonky ladder

gp7.jpg

The old wood pile

gp8.jpg

Totem pole and old hut foundations

gp9.jpg

Fire circle

gp10.jpg

Don't get to excited, its only about 100 yards long, under the race course. Upstream, though, it would go under the spine road.

gp11.jpg

Stairs and sunshine

gp12.jpg

Old lamp

gp13.jpg

Once a toilet block

gp14.jpg

In your floor spaces.

Not the most interesting of sites, but hey.

demble

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
had a few good weekends there in the early 90's, chasing after the girl guides

Wpgn

28DL Member
28DL Member
Am sure I went there as a kid when I went to school at brunswick I can remember climbing up that tower thing and getting half way and having to come back down use to have professional climbing team there was good from what I remember also I remember the old huts and the forest wizard hut ha I was about 10 or so.