real time web analytics
Report - - GPSS Flax Bourton, Bristol, Nov 22 | Military Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - GPSS Flax Bourton, Bristol, Nov 22

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Webbs0710

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Spotted this Fuel Depot by chance whilst having a browse on Google maps. Not too far from home either, which is ideal. I don't believe it's had a report for 8 years, so worth an update, especially considering the recent destruction of the nearby Hempsted Depot in Gloucester.

The History

The Government Pipelines and Storage System (GPSS) was first conceived in 1936 as part of planning for a potential war with Germany. The MOD recognised that the country's very survival may well hinge upon air superiority, and it was estimated that the country only had enough aviation fuel reserves to survive 10 days of war. Multiple sites were chosen for the construction of fuel tanks, which were to be partially buried to conceal them from enemy air attack.

Following the declaration of war in September 1939, the vulnerability of the existing road and rail network to enemy bombardment was recognised. Work to construct an underground pipeline linking the Stanlow Refinery in Liverpool to Avonmouth Docks commenced, with system being operational by 1942. This allowed supplies to be distributed quickly, irrespective of which port the oil was landed at.

The next phase was to link the ports to the numerous RAF airbases in the Midlands, South and the East of the country, which made steady progress, even with work having to take place overnight to avoid detection. By 1944, there was 1,000 miles of pipelines, with this being extended further to service USAF airbases, with a further extension from the Isle of Wight to Cherbourg being added in August 1944 to serve the PLUTO pipeline (PipeLine Under The Ocean).

PLUTO continued to be extended, following the allied advance towards Germany, with it eventually reaching the banks of the Rhine. Following the war, the main GPSS Pipeline was extended further to serve the many civilian airports that began popping up. It reached a length of over 1,600 miles, remaining secret throughout the Cold War. The existence of the pipeline was no longer considered an Official State Secret after the end of the Cold War.

In the 2000s, the government began looking to offload the system. Some locations were decommissioned, and the rest were sold off to the Spanish oil network operator CLH in March 2015. It was subsequently renamed the CLH Pipeline and is now known as the Exolum Pipeline, as CLH rebranded in 2021. The MOD has a contract to continue being supplied by the pipeline, which is slated to cost £237m up to 2025.

This particular site was constructed post war, being built between 1954-57 by Esso, as part of the North Somerset Complex of sites and pipelines for the storage of white oil products. It was originally connected by five pipelines but only one was operational by 1990. It was originally designed for distribution by road and rail with two rail gantries in the Tyntesfield Sidings, and three road gantries. The site was emptied and closed in the early 1990s following the end of the Cold War. I would imagine the site was purchased by CLH in 2015 even though it's disused, as their branding is dotted around the site. It's certainly been forgotten about by them though, as it's not had the Exolum rebranding.

The Explore

Made two visits as it's so close to home. First was a recce to locate access, was the middle of the day, so there was a lot of people around on the nearby public footpath and the road passing the front of the site. Made a note of potential access points, and used the lovely weather to send the drone over.
dji_fly_20221109_114028_206_1667994593247_photo_optimized.jpg

dji_fly_20221109_114128_211_1667994590261_photo_optimized.jpg

Second visit, went bright and early to avoid too many people being around. Found my way to a lovely hole in the fence I spotted on the recce and I was in, and immediately had to start dodging a minefield of sheep shit, as the local farmer appears to be using the site to graze his sheep, and a couple of horses too.

Wandered towards the rail access first, and was surprised to see some sleepers still clinging on to life. Most of the siding appears to be in situ next to the main line, it's only been lifted inside the Depot. Couldn't find any signs of the rail gantries though.
DSC03343.jpg

DSC03342.jpg

There's the remains of a building relatively close to the road access. I'm sure it's related to the Depot, rather than having something to do with the railway station that used to be nearby like the information board on the public footpath suggests. Remains of the station are about 150m up the line from the Depot.
DSC03328.jpg

Nothing much of interest, empty rooms apart from some electrics and shit Graff -
DSC03340.jpg

Not much to see as far as the fuel tanks go unfortunately, access to all of them is completely blocked, so not much of a change from the previous report. Somebody managed to get inside one last year, but the farmer has now blocked it with a load of dirt.
DSC03353.jpg

DSC03355.jpg

Picked my way around the edge of the site, so as to avoid the sheep who had congregated near the pump house. There was the remains of a building I spotted on my recce, with some dismantled pipework, and a sump of some sort.
DSC03375.jpg

DSC03380.jpg

DSC03372.jpg

Saved the best for last; the pump house! It was wide open, nothing massive remaining, but there's a few small pumps dotted around, remains of numerous pipes and some interesting signage. Definitely the most interesting part of the explore.
DSC03395.jpg

DSC03397.jpg

DSC03399.jpg

DSC03408.jpg

DSC03393.jpg

North Somerset Government Civil Reserve Signage -
DSC03413.jpg

DSC03398.jpg

Motor/Pump of some description -
DSC03418.jpg

DSC03414.jpg

DSC03405.jpg

Not sure what this is for, certainly the newest installation on-site though -
DSC03384.jpg

DSC03389.jpg

DSC03386.jpg
Road Gantries -
dji_fly_20221109_113924_199_1667994597291_photo_optimized.jpg

DSC03327.jpg

Oddities -
DSC03367.jpg

DSC03346.jpg

DSC03332 (1).jpg

Thanks for looking 👌🏻

GPSS urbex

28DL Member
28DL Member
Nice report.
The box at the end is for Cathodic protection of the pipelines to prevent rusting. The same box was installed at GPSS chelveston in 2011 and last inspected in 2014, so presumably they realised the pipelines would be never used again and gave up protecting the pipeline from corrosion.

dansgas1000

28DL Regular User
Regular User
This is really nice, shame about the graffiti tags. The pump house is lovely, right up my street with the old pumps, pipework, and wheels. Great crisp shots mate.

Seffy

Staff member
‘Nailsea owns Clevedon’ what a statement.
Awesome drone pics - thanks for posting this :) cycle path next to it is always pretty constant with people isn’t it?

Webbs0710

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice report.
The box at the end is for Cathodic protection of the pipelines to prevent rusting. The same box was installed at GPSS chelveston in 2011 and last inspected in 2014, so presumably they realised the pipelines would be never used again and gave up protecting the pipeline from corrosion.
Thank you. Oohh really? Good to know, thanks for the info!
This is really nice, shame about the graffiti tags. The pump house is lovely, right up my street with the old pumps, pipework, and wheels. Great crisp shots mate.
Thank you very much!
Nicely done. Worth it for the pump house and the pipes.
Thanks, definitely was!
Nice. Liking the pump house and valve shots, also that gauge shot is pretty cool. Nice report.
Thank you!
‘Nailsea owns Clevedon’ what a statement.
Awesome drone pics - thanks for posting this :) cycle path next to it is always pretty constant with people isn’t it?
Thank you. Yeah it is, was rather busy when I was there in November, I'd expect it's even busier during the summer

CantClimbTom

Enthusiastic Idiot and prolific BS talker
28DL Full Member
Thanks, great report.
What you've labelled as "oddities"... those lights are the same style as I've seen at a couple of gasometers. So must be the traditional standard for lighting posts in possible explosive areas (gas, fuel vapour, etc).
Also, I'm getting some schooling reading the history, although I knew a little about GPSS and PLUTO I really had no idea that it went much beyond the landings let alone all the way to the Rhine!!!

A man called Martyn

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
This particular site was constructed post war, being built between 1954-57 by Esso, as part of the North Somerset Complex of sites and pipelines for the storage of white oil products. It was originally connected by five pipelines but only one was operational by 1990. It was originally designed for distribution by road and rail with two rail gantries in the Tyntesfield Sidings, and three road gantries. The site was emptied and closed in the early 1990s following the end of the Cold War. I would imagine the site was purchased by CLH in 2015 even though it's disused, as their branding is dotted around the site. It's certainly been forgotten about by them though, as it's not had the Exolum rebranding.

Would be interesting to see what the CLH branding is on, as the site appeared on the MOD disposal list in January 2018. So it wasn't purchased by CLH. The Flax Bourton was being marketed by Avison Young in 2019.

A man called Martyn

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Just checked my pictures of the site on Flickr. On the gate there was a white metal sign with "Flax Bourton PSD" a painted over sign for "Amalgated Construction" who had the contract to look after minimal care GPSS sites. There was also the estate agent sign and a pipeline marker sign as well. So at the time of my visit there was nothing with CLH.

Who has read this thread (Total: 211) View details