real time web analytics
Report - - Grain West Caponier Tunnel - Kent - August 2016 | Military Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Grain West Caponier Tunnel - Kent - August 2016

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

silentwalker

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
History
In 1860 it was decided that the existing Napoleonic era Martello Tower a few hundred yards to the north of the Grain Tower Battery would be expanded and reinforced by the addition of a case mated fort built around the original tower, but in the event the planners decided to build a new fortification instead, to be known as Grain Fort. A large keep formed the centre of the fort with a polygonal earthwork banking surrounding it. To the front a deep ditch further protected the approaches to the keep, and the ditch itself was protected by the provision of four caponiers, heavily fortified concrete blockhouses with interlinking fields of fire, situated on the floor of the moat. A secondary ditch was built around the keep itself protected by a further five caponiers. The fighting compartments and the barracks and admin at the heart of this extensive fortress were all linked by underground passageways.

The Explore
Done this place many times over but never got round to taking photos so thought as I was at the Battery across the way covering that I thought I would pop here after. Wrong time to go as all the stinging nettles are in full force, other than that it is a great little set of tunnels, not big by any means but still kept quite well.

On to the pictures

1F_zps1cuxw3mj.jpg

2F_zps1yddyfo3.jpg

3F_zpsxh3u5njd.jpg

4F_zpsf2bwbato.jpg

5F_zpsuqmk71li.jpg

6F_zpskinko9ts.jpg

7F_zpsi04r3eoc.jpg

Cheers for having a ganders :thumb

Benyy

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
You've been busy lately!;) Nice one again mate, some great shots and love the brickwork!