real time web analytics
Report - - Graylingwell Asylum, Chichester, March 2011 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Graylingwell Asylum, Chichester, March 2011

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

chrisr86

Clumsy oaf
28DL Full Member
I visited this place the day after my second trip to West Park in the space of a week. I'm sure it needs no introduction, but here's some information lifted from www.theatretrust.org.uk (of all places).

Graylingwell Hospital opened in 1897 on Graylingwell Farm, former home of novelist Anna Sewell of 'Black Beauty' fame and located to the north of Chichester. It was designed by Sir Arthur Blomfield, in what was to be his sole asylum design. The farmhouse stood next to the 'Grayling Well' which supplied the hospital. It comprised large main buildings with a water tower, an Isolation Hospital, administration blocks, wards, a Chapel, and two farms (later three), detached superintendents residence and compact arrow plan main asylum building. The original farmhouse was retained and converted to accommodate private patients, the whole amounting to three hundred and seventy acres.

I'd originally attempted to get in here a few months ago with AnotherMansCause but we set off some PIRs and got caught by two security guards. Cue a return trip with Olz9181 and Robbiekhan who had previously got in but had their explore cut short by security.

The security guys have done a good job looking after Graylingwell as many will know, so it's not as badly chavved up as many other places. However it's suffered through the demolition and the winter months, so has seen better days.

Many parts are returning to nature.

DSC_0111.jpg

DSC_0117.jpg

DSC_0119.jpg

There aren't all that many artifacts around in most places but it's still an interesting explore.

DSC_0145-1.jpg

DSC_0161.jpg

DSC_0142.jpg

DSC_0118.jpg

DSC_0134.jpg

A few banners and stuff are on this floor, like 'lagerfest 86'. Sounds good!

DSC_0112.jpg

This building (not sure of the name of it) was fully boarded up and at the end of a long, spooky, dark corridor full of large cobwebs and dead spiders. Robbie had fun playing with the strobe function on his torch here :p

DSC_0150.jpg

What report would be complete without the hall?

DSC_0165.jpg

DSC_0170.jpg

A random, lonely phone up on the balcony.

DSC_0168.jpg

Looking down to the area behind the stage curtains.

DSC_0166-1.jpg

... And of course, the projector room!

DSC_0174.jpg

DSC_0177.jpg

Thanks for looking! I'm sure Olz and Robbie will be along soon to post up their pics and put mine to shame.

Who has read this thread (Total: 5) View details