real time web analytics
Report - - Great Northen Railway Corn Warehouse, Nottingham 10/04/09 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Great Northen Railway Corn Warehouse, Nottingham 10/04/09

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

layz

Conquistador d'Wolverton
28DL Full Member
Hey, guys I decided to do a solo visit to the old Great Northern Railway corn warehouse today in Nottingham. The main warehouse is in surprisingly good condition despite the absence of the original roof. However the office building to the west of the building is in a much worse sate as most of the wooden flooring and stairs are rotten through.

History:
The corn warehouse was built in 1857 for the Great Northern Railway Company. It was designed by Nottingham architect T C Hine in conjunction with the adjacent main station building on London Road. The design incorporated a major technological achievement - the principal roof spanned a huge void with only iron suspension rods supporting the first floor. This provided the maximum possible roof space for grain storage.
The warehouse is grade II listed, and suffered extensive roof damage from a fire in 1998.

Future:
Several proposals for residential use have been discussed with developers but no applications have been submitted.

The Outside:

Picture130.jpg

Picture150.jpg

Inside was very spacious, typical iron columned victorian warehouse:

Picture045.jpg

Picture004.jpg

Picture034.jpg

Picture042.jpg

The top floor was destroyed by a fire, leaving this steel skeleton of the lift:

Picture094.jpg

The middle building was entirely devoid of floor, and was only held together by scaffolding:

Picture125.jpg

The office building was in a very poor state, as shown by the stairs, which I daren't go up whilst I was alone :eek: :

Picture133.jpg

Picture136.jpg

Picture158.jpg

Thanks guys