real time web analytics
Greenbank Synagogue, Liverpool - May 2023 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Greenbank Synagogue, Liverpool - May 2023

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

JakeV50

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Greenbank Synagogue

This place has been very well covered in the past, with plenty of reports on here but thought I'd chuck mine up on here because why not! Visited with @dansgas1000 as usual...

I won't go too much into detail, as I say this place has been very well reported in the past. Greenbank Synagogue was constructed in 1936, with the foundation stone being laid on the 14th June 1936. It was designed by architect Alfred Ernest Shennan (1887-1959)
The synagogue was consecrated and opened to the public by Prof Henry Cohen, 1st Baron Cohen of Birkenhead who was a member of the congregation on August 15,1937. The building suffered a fire in May 1959 which was started by a burglar, this resulted in the roof being damaged and a few pieces being destroyed. The building was repaired at a cost of around £50,000 and re-consecrated in 1961. It suffered another smaller fire in 1965 but this didn’t cause as near as much damage as the 1959 fire.

The synagogue closed on the 5th January 2008. The building was also listed to Grade II* around this time. In 2017, approval was granted to convert the building to apartments, but obviously nothing has come of it yet.
There are fresh boards and new looking cameras around the site, but it was still just a walk in as one of the boards covering the main door had already been removed. I believe the cameras were working because just as we were then leaving, a police car turned down the dead-end side street besides the building and the coppers got out and headed towards the building.

We didn’t spend too long inside. About halfway through our time in there, a load of local kids came in and started chucking stuff about and making a load of noise, so we decided to leave it and go on to the next place. Very glad I managed to see this one though, it's one of those urbex classics. The lighting was harsh that day, so I tried my best with the photos, overall, they came out ok...

IMG_0414-HDR.jpg

The foundation stone

IMG_0417.jpg

IMG_0419.jpg

View of the main foyer

IMG_0421.jpg

IMG_0426.jpg

IMG_0425.jpg

IMG_0422.jpg

IMG_0427.jpg

IMG_0429.jpg

IMG_0431.jpg

IMG_0435.jpg

IMG_0433.jpg

IMG_0436.jpg

Nice paint peel.

IMG_0440.jpg

IMG_0441.jpg

The beautiful glass remains surprisingly

IMG_0437.jpg

Lovely light fixture

IMG_0442.jpg

Upstairs to the top row.

IMG_0457.jpg

IMG_0448.jpg

IMG_0452.jpg

IMG_0445.jpg

IMG_0443.jpg

IMG_0454.jpg

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User
I really liked this place and I went nine years ago :oops . Which is why it surprises me that it's still going and not as bad as it could have been.

HughieD

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Nicely captured and still a really nice explore. But as @mookster says, let's hope it gets saved before it all goes up in one massive bonfire.

JakeV50

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Nicely captured and still a really nice explore. But as @mookster says, let's hope it gets saved before it all goes up in one massive bonfire.
Thank you. I'm very surprised it hasn't been properly bricked up or something while the renovations take place etc.

dansgas1000

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Excellent pics, yeah we definetely timed it well with the police car. Shame about those kids coming in but was a still a good quick explore. I like the old light fixture, didn't see that!

Seffy

Staff member
Nowt like the feeling of watching some authoritative figure walking towards the place as you leave! Lovely lighting in these photos also.

JakeV50

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Excellent pics, yeah we definetely timed it well with the police car. Shame about those kids coming in but was a still a good quick explore. I like the old light fixture, didn't see that!
Yeah them kids pissed me off, they were darting about at the other end, they were in a few of my shots so had to delete them. I thought I pointed the light fixture out to you!

JakeV50

28DL Regular User
Regular User
It's in better condition than I imagined. That said, I'm sure we'll see it on the news soon as it goes up in flames.
Looking back on older reports, it's almost like the main floor has been cleaned up slightly.
Oh I'm sure it won't be long.

Who has read this thread (Total: 145) View details