real time web analytics
Report - - Hawthorns Tunnel, Forest of Dean, March 23 | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Hawthorns Tunnel, Forest of Dean, March 23

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Webbs0710

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I'm surprised this tunnel hasn't had more reports on it over the years considering what's inside! It has an interesting history as well. It appears to go by a few names too, the most used being Hawthorns, although it's also referred to as Euroclydon and Puddlebrook Tunnel.

The History

One of many small branch lines in the Forest of Dean, the idea for the Mitcheldean & Forest of Dean Junction Railway was first mooted in 1871, with the intention being to link the small villages north of Cinderford with the GWR's Gloucester-Hereford Main Line via Ross-on-Wye.

In essence it was just an extension of their Whimsey Branch, and at only 3 1/4 miles long, a significant expense considering the requirement for two tunnels. Puddlebrook Tunnel was 638 yards in length following an S-shaped alignment, with the Drybrook Tunnel being to its south at a length of 97 yards.

Construction was beset with delays caused by contractual disputes, with work stalling by August 1878. The GWR had to intervene, investing a further £20,000 (£1.91m today) on top of its original investment to resolve the issues. By the summer of 1880, the line was pretty much complete, with transfer to the GWR taking place on the 6th August.

GWR took the decision not to open the line, with the reasoning behind this likely being due to the Severn & Wye Railway successfully opening their branch line through Lydbrook in 1874, which provided a through route from Cinderford to Ross-on-Wye, negating the need for the competing GWR line. The costs of modifications needed at their Mitcheldean Road station to accommodate the new branch may have also had an influence.

The southernmost mile was brought into use in 1885 to serve a goods station at Speedwell, with services extended as far as Drybrook Halt for a railmotor service in 1907, but this was short-lived, only operating until 1930.

The track to the North was lifted in 1917, although it was relaid as far as Drybrook Quarry in 1928. Puddlebrook Tunnel was converted into a munitions store for the Admiralty at the onset of WW2, and the line was relaid up to the tunnel to serve this.

It was used to store Depth Charges, Mines and Torpedoes from the nearby Royal Ordnance Factories at Glascoed and Swynnerton. The narrow gauge railway that remains in situ on the east side of the tunnel today was installed to facilitate this, along with steel framework for weapon storage. Lighting was also installed throughout. The site was protected by steel fencing and a guard hut at either end of the tunnel.

The site received regular workings of 7-8 wagons full of munitions, which was processed in a large transfer shed just outside the southern portal. They were then moved into the tunnel by one of two pony locomotives serving the stores.

The branch line was closed for good in February 1953, with the track being lifted in 1957. It would appear the Admiralty abandoned the majority of their railway equipment within the tunnel, with it being discovered by the Royal Forest of Dean Caving Club in 2012.

A heritage group was formed following this discovery, and they have established the Lea Bailey Railway to the north of the tunnel, near the site of the old Lea Bailey Gold and Iron Mine. I'm not sure whether they utilised track from the tunnel, or sourced it from elsewhere, as some is definitely missing given how abruptly it stops.

The Explore

Took a wonder up the nearby footpath first to make sure the portal wasn't totally bricked up like a lot in the Forest of Dean are. Seeing that it wasn't, I found my way into the cutting, walking through the wide open very rusty gate that I'm assuming was part of the WW2 security fencing from the state of it.

Found some old, rusting machinery including what I'm assuming is one of the two Admiralty pony locos in a sorry state outside the south portal. Couldn't see any signs of the transfer shed, but the decaying machinery was likely from it.

Hunslet Locomotive -
DSC00924.jpg

DSC00930.jpg

Bit of gauge goodness -
DSC00933.jpg

DSC00932.jpg

Understandably of a Flameproof design -
DSC00938 (1).jpg

Oil Filter is in surprisingly good condition -
DSC00927.jpg

No idea what this contraption was used to be -
DSC00917.jpg

DSC00918.jpg

DSC00921.jpg

The South Portal -
DSC00916.jpg

The North Portal -
DSC00912.jpg

Wandered down into the portal, and my heart started to sink seeing the doors hiding within, but luckily for me they were open!

Spotted what I'm assuming is an old insulator that's in good condition just outside -
DSC00913.jpg

Turned on the brand new Olight and was very pleased to see all the abandoned wagons and trackwork running down the tunnel. Used to seeing mud and the odd calcite deposit, so made for a decent change.
DSC00812.jpg

DSC00818.jpg

DSC00816.jpg

Found the other pony loco in much better nick under a cover... There's a lot of water ingress above it, but the cover it's under is doing its job relatively well, as it looks almost pristine compared to the rusting hulk outside. Didn't attempt to remove the cover as I was solo, too much of a faff with how wet it was.
DSC00827.jpg

DSC00839.jpg

DSC00835.jpg

Curious how there's pretty much no mileage on that odometer -
DSC00833.jpg

The trackbed is a tad muddy underfoot, had to walk on the tracks in the spots that weren't concrete lined. The tunnel is described as being very dry, but there was a lot of water ingress in quite a few places. Made for a few nice calcite formations though.
DSC00850.jpg

DSC00860.jpg

DSC00863.jpg

Just beyond the end of the tracks, the tunnel lining looks to be failing. Was hard to get a shot where you can see it clearly, but there was a slight bulge in the roof, and it has started to crack along the edge of the bulge.
DSC00873.jpg

Was appreciative of the changes between lined and unlined towards the northern end, made for some good shots whilst experimenting with the new torch.
DSC00905.jpg

DSC00903.jpg

DSC00897.jpg

DSC00892.jpg

There's what appears to be some old radiators, and a small little crane at the northern end, with the doors this end also being unlocked.
DSC00894.jpg

DSC00908.jpg

Trackbed beyond appeared very boggy, but clear, so you could walk it if you so wished. I don't think the nearby Lea Bailey Heritage Railway extends beyond Hawthorns Road, but there's definitely scope for them to expand, potentially why the trackbed was so clear.

The way out, with another surviving insulator -
DSC00797.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:

Bikin Glynn

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Yep think I done one of only 2 reports it is IMO the best railway tunnel out there.
Well taken, I need to look at my report cos I cant remember seeing that engine under cover.

Bikin Glynn

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Yeah didnt think so but I didnt go right to the end for some reason so will have to do a revisit sometime.

Down and beyond

The true source of englands wealth is coal
Regular User
Ye that’s
Yeah didnt think so but I didnt go right to the end for some reason so will have to do a revisit sometime.

that’s common you could write a book called the entrance series …

Who has read this thread (Total: 170) View details