real time web analytics
Report - - Healey Mills Railway maintenance yard-Wakefield-May 2014 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Healey Mills Railway maintenance yard-Wakefield-May 2014

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Dan Walton

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Hey all this was my first visit to a site with my camera to get used to shooting and the environment ,had a brill few hours looking round well worth a visit if you are in the area.

.Healey Mills opened in 1963 in an attempt to modernise wagon-load traffic. It replaced a dozen smaller yards in the area and its purpose was to improve the efficiency of sorting and marshalling wagons into trains before sending them off to their destination. The yards featured hump-shunting, in which wagons were pushed over a ‘hump’, freewheeled into the required siding, and braked using special retarders next to the rails - all controlled from a centralised operations tower.

A purpose-built diesel depot opened alongside the yards at the end of 1966 and the two facilities saw round the clock activity with a claimed capacity of 4,000 wagons per day. Situated to the west of Wakefield, Healey Mills was ideally located for sending and receiving trains to all parts of the country, as well as handling the large number of local coal trains at the time.

Hornbury/May/2014

DSC_0368_zps333b4a58.jpg

DSC_0389_zps656b4084.jpg

DSC_0370_zpsba5bf1aa.jpg

DSC_0321_zpsea5acc3b.jpg

DSC_0309_zps0d868de5.jpg

DSC_0307_zpsf3f1c36d.jpg

DSC_0343_zps58b45fe7.jpg

DSC_0265_zpsa7c15335.jpg

Hope this is sorted afar a few attempts at it cheers guys
more photos on my photo bucket page concretejungle's Pictures, Photos & Images | Photobucket

Last edited:

ACID- REFLUX

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Re: Railway maintenance yard-Wakefield-May 2014

Looking very deserted these days.
Remember it as a kid, it was heaving. Nearly got taken out by a class 47 running away from workers across the Marshalling Yard :0
Drove past last week to see 2 Metal fairy Transits parked up next to the Warning "you are on CCTV " signs in the old road entrance, so didn"t bother :)

Dan Walton

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member

thank u guys much appreciated think i got the hang of the posting business -acid reflux it was very overgrown and yes i saw the signs that was there

catbalou

off the wall
Regular User

is that chair "pole dancing" or something?! :)

Will Knot

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Hey there, nice report, been going to have a look for ages......will have to get my arse in gear!

ACID- REFLUX

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Hey there, nice report, been going to have a look for ages......will have to get my arse in gear!

Bloody long way for you to come for this Matey :) (no offence Dan :)

Sure we can find something more interesting for you in Wakefield ? ........like a Hospital maybe lol

Dan Walton

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Haha I've got a list of places I am going to visit I have just had a look around a hospital in the Wakefield area and will be visiting it weds night