real time web analytics
Report - - Heatherside Hospital, Cork - August 2020 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Heatherside Hospital, Cork - August 2020

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Bugsuperstar

Irresponsible & Reckless
Regular User
In 1908 a Tuberculosis Prevention Act was passed giving the county councils in Ireland the power to provide local facilities to battle the disease ravaging many areas at that time. In 1910, the sanitary authorities of County Cork combined with Cork Corporation to establish Heatherside Sanatorium near Doneraile.

This would become the first purpose built tuberculosis sanatorium in Ireland

Built in 1909, the main building was designed with a gentle curve and the typical balconies and open bays you would expect with a TB sanatorium. Ancillary buildings were added in the mid-1930s. These included a recreation hall/dining area, facilities and services such as a laundry and workshops and a small chapel. Several wards were added onsite, and at some point an in house X-Ray service was provided. There was also a superintendents house on the same site.

The sanatorium closed in 1957 and was repurposed to relieve overcrowding at Our Ladys Psychiatric Hospital in Cork city. The hospital continued to be used for this purpose until April 2011 when it closed for good. Despite protests and local resistance 27 patients were relocated and 60+ staff redeployed.

In June 2006 a female patient passed away while in the care of Heatherside Hospital staff. A common practice at the time was to use restraints and sadly on this occasion the patient slipped in her chair and choked on the restraints. Staff allegedly removed and dressed the deceased patient and returned her to her bed before Gardai arrived on the scene and it has been reported that they were not particularly cooperative with the following investigation.

This place is somewhere I've spent a nice amount of time over the last few years. The photographs here are a mix of several visits since summer 2020. I have also shot a lot of 35mm here but like most of the rolls they just sit there waiting to be developed. Its nothing special and definitely in the late stages as far as the "abandoned scale" goes, so for those of you who only chase "epics" maybe scroll on by now...

However despite the local kids definitely finding it and wrecking the place, I still have a weak spot for natural decay and peel so its right up my street. The first time I found myself here the site kind of reminded me of the atmosphere of some of the older UK asylums. If you remember those from late 2008 ish you will probably know what i mean. not the size or scale by any means but surrounded by trees and overgrown. Anyway; I hope some of you enjoy looking at the place.

Original Sanatorium building

fpVbXdu.jpg

dYS6SgV.jpg

G0392oc.jpg

Does anyone remember the old caged staircases? This place has its own little wooden version

ZHCu1JD.jpg

1930s additions

oZRyZHH.jpg

ReBtF7J.jpg

KcdQw4N.jpg

giIm4Tc.jpg

tbC0Oe8.jpg

PMS3Fg1.jpg

lZSNi3M.jpg

YZKZGLP.jpg

Laundry, Stores and Workshops

yzFcIS4.jpg

CgxpweK.jpg

t6u4eJr.jpg

7d4VbTG.jpg

M7ckaGh.jpg

ilhHEri.jpg

gRTE8Cs.jpg

Superintendents house

Zl3rlmk.jpg

3G50CjM.jpg

LOUBAKh.jpg

The chapel [ past and present ]

PyOzWkS.jpg

pkhhZ59.jpg

6PBt3Y3.jpg

I30DxMN.jpg

IOPTlSG.jpg

Thanks for looking, Bug.

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Peel heaven. What a great report. I do like the little things, that light switch has great detail. The old photos are an interesting comparison :thumb

Bugsuperstar

Irresponsible & Reckless
Regular User
Peel heaven. What a great report. I do like the little things, that light switch has great detail. The old photos are an interesting comparison :thumb

Thanks Jane. There are still a nice few things left behind if you dig about and I enjoy doing just that :thumb The decay here is right up my street too.

IMG_8934.jpeg

Bugsuperstar

Irresponsible & Reckless
Regular User
It is such a sad site. I explored it myself. I am so sad to see it go downhill. Brilliant explore.
I have found the place very peaceful each time I visit. The place does have a few sad historical events though that’s for sure.