real time web analytics
Report - - Heathfield Auxiliary Unit OB | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Heathfield Auxiliary Unit OB

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Ogga

28DL Member
28DL Member
Heathfield Auxiliary Unit Operational base.

History
In the event of German invasion during ww2 the home guard set up a number of top secret military defence units which were deployed all across the uk coastline. These Auxiliary units would be responsible for wiping out German invaders and causing mass mayhem for the opposition over a brief but violent period. All units were to be located in top secret operational bases which would usually store a radio for commands and munitions for ambush. These bases or “bunkers” would be completely camouflaged with the entrance being a disguised trapdoor and a single escape tunnel leading off from the main chamber.

IMG_2083.jpeg

After much research i failed to find nearly any information about this Auxiliary bunker in particular. A few dated articles lead me to a certain private woods where i believed it was located.

The Explore
After much research on the area, me and a friend of mine hopped the fence to what felt like a very private site. After making our way through the site for about 20 minutes we stumbled across our first point of interest. An overgrown dated building that looked to be around the ww2 time period. Making our way through the overgrowth revealed a small building containing a few cage or cell like thingys.
IMG_2058.jpeg

IMG_2057.jpeg

I’m not certain of the history of this building but my theory is it used to be a cage for animals or even a holding cell for prisoners in the war but my guess is as good as yours. As we continued we found ourselves in a clearing where we came across a single manhole cover. After removing it form its concrete base we discovered a drop down into a small area with a tight but long tunnel below. This was what used to be the escape tunnel to the chamber.
IMG_2077.jpeg

Crawling through the tunnel revealed the main chamber.
IMG_2070.jpeg

IMG_2063.jpeg

The main chamber contained a few shelves.
IMG_2071.jpeg

IMG_2072.jpeg

IMG_2073.jpeg

And a few air vents
IMG_2066.jpeg

The main entrance had caved in and had been covered over with new concrete. After the explore we left through the escape tunnel.
IMG_2076.jpeg

Very fun explore if you can find it, feels good to discover undocumented history.

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Really nice one that. Never been in an auxiliary bunker before and always wanted too. It looks in great condition, never heard of buildings near them before though as they were meant to be discreet. Hence why they were mainly put in woodlands.

Ogga

28DL Member
28DL Member
Really nice one that. Never been in an auxiliary bunker before and always wanted to. It looks in great condition, never heard of buildings near them before though as they were meant to be discreet. Hence why they were mainly put in woodlands.
thanks bro :thumb, and yeah, not too sure of the history of that building but definitely something i’ll look into.

Exploring With Pride 🌈

Exploring with pride in more ways than one
28DL Full Member
Heathfield Auxiliary Unit Operational base.

History
In the event of German invasion during ww2 the home guard set up a number of top secret military defence units which were deployed all across the uk coastline. These Auxiliary units would be responsible for wiping out German invaders and causing mass mayhem for the opposition over a brief but violent period. All units were to be located in top secret operational bases which would usually store a radio for commands and munitions for ambush. These bases or “bunkers” would be completely camouflaged with the entrance being a disguised trapdoor and a single escape tunnel leading off from the main chamber.

IMG_2083.jpeg

After much research i failed to find nearly any information about this Auxiliary bunker in particular. A few dated articles lead me to a certain private woods where i believed it was located.

The Explore
After much research on the area, me and a friend of mine hopped the fence to what felt like a very private site. After making our way through the site for about 20 minutes we stumbled across our first point of interest. An overgrown dated building that looked to be around the ww2 time period. Making our way through the overgrowth revealed a small building containing a few cage or cell like thingys.

IMG_2058.jpeg

IMG_2057.jpeg

I’m not certain of the history of this building but my theory is it used to be a cage for animals or even a holding cell for prisoners in the war but my guess is as good as yours. As we continued we found ourselves in a clearing where we came across a single manhole cover. After removing it form its concrete base we discovered a drop down into a small area with a tight but long tunnel below. This was what used to be the escape tunnel to the chamber.
IMG_2077.jpeg

Crawling through the tunnel revealed the main chamber.
IMG_2070.jpeg

IMG_2063.jpeg

The main chamber contained a few shelves.
IMG_2071.jpeg

IMG_2072.jpeg

IMG_2073.jpeg

And a few air vents
IMG_2066.jpeg

The main entrance had caved in and had been covered over with new concrete. After the explore we left through the escape tunnel.
IMG_2076.jpeg

Very fun explore if you can find it, feels good to discover undocumented history.
Wow amazing condition

monk

mature
28DL Full Member
Sounds like the grounds of Heathfield Park?
it use to be a safari type place years ago, some of the animal cages are still scattered around.

Hessian

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Good job on locating this, much better condition than I ever expected it would be.

Remember reading an article about the family and the house in particular with references to underground tunnels; after a bit of research I concluded that it was just talking about the auxiliary unit, so it's good to see it! And yes, Monk is right, there was a zoo of some kind on the site in the 70s/80s.

1976.jpg

discotek

28DL Member
28DL Member
The cages in top pics used to home monkeys safari park open 1973-79 remember seeing this on the lake island when very young. can u give me a clue as to location of this zero station bunker (distance /direction from monkey cages} have also been searching for this ats zero bunker for some time ! thanks

Who has read this thread (Total: 141) View details