real time web analytics
Report - - Hilversum Town Hall, November, 2011, NL - live infil | European and International Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Hilversum Town Hall, November, 2011, NL - live infil

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

layz

Conquistador d'Wolverton
28DL Full Member
Hey Guys,

Introduction

I know I’ve not posted in a while, but just to let you know I’m still getting out as and when I can. I was recently working abroad in The Netherlands when I stumbled upon this little architectural gem. The tower stood out for miles on the horizon and I knew I had to try and get up there. I just wandered straight in and was surprised to see very few people about, and those who were didn’t trouble me. Finding the stairwell to the tower was more difficult that you might expect, but after 20mins I found it, and began climbing. The view was incredible.

However I was spotted, not by the police but worse… my boss. I later found out that my boss had then told a collegue: “if that’s who I think it is, I’m going to kill him.â€
When I got down, unaware I’d been rumbled by boss said:
“I’m gonna kill you for climbing that tower… because I wanted to get up there!â€

History:

Designed in 1924 Hilversum Town Hall is a brilliant piece of modernism by Willem Marinus Dudok for the new garden town. The impressive Art Deco building is clad in yellow brick offset by darker materials and is packed full of careful detailing, for everything down to the door handles and even the furniture. The corridor around a central garden are provided with small windows within which flower boxes may be placed, whilst the central staircase is constructed using marble. Eventually completed in 1931 the Town Hall successfully demonstrated the ability for a design to be impressive without resorting to historical ornamentation.

f4f66f02.jpg

7cca6d25.jpg

02949544.jpg

6b644f19.jpg

a5a8526f.jpg

f136e389.jpg

ab3afb67.jpg

0e5a4e89.jpg

Hope to post more reports soon.

Regards

Who has read this thread (Total: 3) View details