real time web analytics
Report - - Honda Car Factory, Swindon, Wiltshire - October 2021 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Honda Car Factory, Swindon, Wiltshire - October 2021

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Terminal Decline

28DL Regular User
Regular User
History

During the Second World War the site, at South Marston, on the outskirts of Swindon had been used for aircraft production, a role chosen due to the availability of skilled workers from GWR’s Swindon Locomotive Works.

The 370-acre site was purchased by Honda in 1985 who established Honda UK Manufacturing Ltd (often referred to as HUM). Prior to the Swindon plant coming into operation, Honda worked with British Leyland, allowing Honda-based designs to be built in the UK at BL’s factories since 1980.

Production of the Accord began at HUM in 1992, and was followed two years later the Civic. In August 2000 it was announced cars built at Swindon would be exported to Japan for the first time, and two years later vehicles began to be exported to North America.

Regular investment and expansion took place as production of new models began, and the plant manufactured its two millionth vehicle in 2008, in which year it produced over 230,000 cars.
In 2017 a trade deal was agreed between Japan and the European Union to end tariffs on cars imported between the two zones. This cast doubt over the future of HUM as these tariffs formed a significant factor in the original desire to construct a plant in Europe.

In February 2019 Honda announced their intention to close the factory in 2021, with production shifted to Japan, China, and North America. On 30th July 2021 operations at Swindon officially ceased, resulting in the loss of 3,400 jobs, and bringing an end to Honda manufacturing in Europe.

The Explore

This was always going to be a big target after closure was announced a couple of years ago. Although it's only a comparatively modern factory, sites of this scale don't come around particularly often, and it's always nice to see behind the scenes at another slice of British industry.

I was keen to head to Swindon in the weeks immediately after the official closure date, at the end of July, in order to see the place before the inevitable stripping out of machinery. However, due to multiple setbacks I frustratingly didn't get the chance to go for several months. I eventually resorted to a solo mission on a weeknight, though at the last minute I was joined by Prettyvacant.

We somehow spent a total of about nine hours inside, and still only saw a fraction of the factory, largely down to the presence of workers/ security, though it didn’t help that I was bloody tired after travelling up on the coach the previous night, so I had to spend some of the time taking naps. Unsurprisingly a fair bit of machinery has been removed since MR’s report, plus some of the lighting has been turned off, but the areas I was most keen to see: the paint shop, and press shop were still complete.
As it began to get light we made our escape through a fire exit on the ground floor, and we made it out the site with no more bother.

_DSC8595.jpg

The building from a distance, the simple shapes of the structure disguise its vast scale.

_DSC8608.jpg

The top level, containing a substation and compressors.

_DSC8599.jpg

_DSC8611.jpg

_DSC8616.jpg

At one end was a boiler house, containing seven Babcock Robey boilers.

_DSC8622.jpg

The rear of the boilers.

_DSC8627.jpg

The glass gauges were rather nice for such modern boilers.

_DSC8632.jpg

Heading down into the main factory we came across an area containing a load of power and free conveyors.

_DSC8641.jpg

_DSC8646.jpg

We then headed into the paint shop.

_DSC8652.jpg

Inside one of the spray booths.

_DSC8649.jpg

_DSC8651.jpg

The area was filled with florescent lighting to pick out any imperfections in the paintwork.

_DSC8665.jpg

Painting robots.

_DSC8664.jpg

_DSC8667.jpg

_DSC8681.jpg

_DSC8650.jpg

_DSC8691.jpg

The area containing the ovens.

_DSC8698.jpg

_DSC8707.jpg

_DSC8708.jpg

_DSC8709.jpg

_DSC8727.jpg

_DSC8725.jpg

_DSC8734.jpg

_DSC8731.jpg

_DSC8733.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Terminal Decline

28DL Regular User
Regular User
_DSC8738.jpg

_DSC8744.jpg

_DSC8752.jpg

The sludge pits, used to treat the waste water from the paint shop.

_DSC8755.jpg

_DSC8760.jpg

Power and free conveyors on the ground floor of the main plant. We didn't get far into this area as we could hear people talking on the radio near by.

_DSC8765.jpg

We then headed back through the paint shop to the body in white shop, containing some impressive lines of robots. Unfortunately quite a bit of this area was in darkness, and quite a bit of machinery had already been removed.

_DSC8769.jpg

_DSC8774.jpg

_DSC8786.jpg

_DSC8787.jpg

_DSC8788.jpg

_DSC8789.jpg

Machinery removed and stacked up ready to be sold off or reused in another plant.

_DSC8791.jpg

_DSC8790.jpg

Entrance into the press shop.

_DSC8798.jpg

This bay contains a series of huge presses, used to stamp the panels for the cars.

_DSC8802.jpg

The adjacent bay contained another huge press.

_DSC8805.jpg

_DSC8807.jpg

_DSC8809.jpg

_DSC8811.jpg

_DSC8812.jpg

_DSC8813.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Last edited:

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
This is a pretty amazing place. Reminds me in parts of a futuristic film set. So photogenic, what a place. Seems you had a close call. How on earth did security not look up. Maybe with so many lights they didn't notice yours!

Great work :thumb

Terminal Decline

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Sounds like a really close shave. Do you think they had spotted you on camera.
Yeah they certainly seemed to have seen us on one of the camers, although the staircase must have been out of its field of view. We knew there were some cameras, but as it was fairly dark we couldn't really tell where they were/ what direction they were facing.

Terminal Decline

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Seems you had a close call. How on earth did security not look up. Maybe with so many lights they didn't notice yours!
It was undoubtedly one of the closest shaves I've had, they clearly knew the area we were in so surely it would have been logical for them to check something like that. Our only option was to stay as still as possible, and in doing so must have been difficult to detect by a quick glance - though it certainly felt incredibly exposed while we were up there!