real time web analytics
Report - - Horbury West Curve Abandoned Railway - Wakefield - July 2011 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Horbury West Curve Abandoned Railway - Wakefield - July 2011

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

RJwakefield18

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Hi again, second report.

Today i visited the "Horbury West Curve" aka "Criggleston Curve" in Horbury, Wakefield. It is an abandoned railway that joined the Lancashire & Yorkshire line between Wakefield & Huddersfield to the existing Horbury East curve between Wakefield & Barnsley (still in use)

Horbury%20west%20curve.jpg

History
At a little under 1¾ miles in length, Horbury West Curve (known locally as the Crigglestone Curve) provided a connection between the Lancashire & Yorkshire’s main Todmorden-Wakefield line and its branch to Barnsley.
It was a late addition to the network, opening to goods in March 1902 and passengers four months later that passenger traffic was already on the wane by the start of the Second World War, with the sketchy service pulled from the timetable in September 1961.
Freight continued to use the route until it was disconnected at both ends in February 1991.
Much of the rusting single line is in situ though its two signalboxes (Crigglestone junction and
Horbury & Ossett station) have both been demolished.

Again, i realise the image date stamps are wrong, forgot to alter them from last time out... :(

This is my parking spot, and access to the line, i started near the southern end of the line. Access is gained through a disused colliery.
This bridge also crosses another disused line. Its wierd that once this road had a manual level crossing for the lower line at the same time as the bridge above it. Thats engineering solutions :Not Worthy

B.jpg

All the best explorations start with a warning sign :D

A.jpg

B1.jpg

C.jpg

D.jpg

E.jpg

Southern portal of the Horbury Tunnel, this tunnel cuts underneath the existing Saville Town to Royston Line (to be explored)

F.jpg

H.jpg

Sleepers laid in the tunnel, 40yards of line have been removed at either end of the tunnel.
This is weird seen as the rest of the line is intact including the juctions on the remaining main lines :confused

I.jpg

J.jpg

K.jpg

L.jpg

O.jpg

M.jpg

N.jpg

Thank you for looking :thumb